Troy bilt weed wacker starts and idles but stalls when throttle up.

Cap33905

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy bilt weed wacker starts and idles but stalls when throttle up.
I have a 5 year old troybilt weed wacker model tb90bc. While using it she died halfway through job. She will start but stall when gassed. Took apart and changed the fuels lines. Same problem. At one point during all this pulling of starter cord it gets all bound up. Take whole thing apart and find that the reed assembly on back of carb got sucked into engine. Removed all the pieces and reassembled without the reed assembly(it was destroyed). Engine runs but still having the same problem. My question is what does the reed assembly do, and could that be the cause of my problem of stalling when gassed.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The reed valve opens when the piston goes up to allow fuel into the crankcase and closes when the piston moves down holding the fuel in to crankcase under slight pressure which in turns gets pushed into the cylinder when the piston uncovers the intake ports in the cylinder walls. So no it won't run correctly if the reed is missing or damaged.

Replace the reed valve and it should run correctly providing that the cylinder walls are not damaged from the reed valve parts.

jc56

Threads
I don't about the reed valve.After you replace that,and still have trouble,I'd check stopped up exhaust and carb adjustment.:smile:

Cap33905

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. I ordered a new reed assembly. I was able to hammer out the old one and flatten it. Will try to reinstall it in the morning. Hopefully this works. Thanks again.