8hp Briggs updraft carb leaking fuel while trying to start.

DaveTN

Threads
  • / 8hp Briggs updraft carb leaking fuel while trying to start.
I've rebuilt this thing twice and it is clean with all new components. Needle and valve seat seal, all passages are open. once reinstalled, I turn the fuel on, takes some to fill the bowl and no more. If I let it sit overnight it won't leak a drop. As soon as I start turning it over the fuel starts to trickle out in a stream and stops a few seconds after I stop turning the engine over. It won't start, the plug stays dry so its not getting gas. If I can start it (spraying carb cleaner into the carb) it runs nice, WOT down to a even idle. This is driving me crazy!

Thought I'd chime in my 2 cents worth. I was thinking that maybe the float is set too high. As long as it sits there, it wouldn't leak out. But vibrate it, cranking it over would cause that over-full bowl to slosh about and thus the leak even if the needle is seated. Similar to turning a push mower over on its side and gas pouring out the carburetor. Try setting the float a little lower down so it will cut off sooner. You'll still have lots of gas, but the bowl won't be so full. Hope this helps.