Ariens snowblower boggs and wont throw snow far

tonyvisone

Threads
hey guys.... i had a leaking carb, got the carb rebuild kit, and it seems to have fixed it. but, now that i have it running and we got some snow, i tried it (never used it before). it boggs out when i hit snow. even if its just a little snow. it clogged up the chute a bunch of times too. i had it idleing and driving great. but not throwing. and the few times i got it to throw it was usually about 1 foot, but got up to about 4 feet max

heres a video... sorry for the length and for talking about the carb too much (video was made for a different thread at first)
Ariens Snowblower :: 100_1142.mp4 video by tonyvisone - Photobucket

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I see your problem right off. I see you didn't remove the soft plug on the outside of the carburetor. It looks different then the replacement which I see laying in your pile of parts. Under this soft plug you will find some very small passages that are plugged. That is a problem with the tecumseh carburetor and the reason they give you new soft pluges in the kit.

tonyvisone

Threads
I see your problem right off. I see you didn't remove the soft plug on the outside of the carburetor. It looks different then the replacement which I see laying in your pile of parts. Under this soft plug you will find some very small passages that are plugged. That is a problem with the tecumseh carburetor and the reason they give you new soft pluges in the kit.

sounds promising, but can u explain more specifically as im not sure what you mean....
i used most of the carb kit parts.... what soft plug are you talking of?
incase it helps, heres a couple pics i have (from before the rebuild)
100_0395.jpg

100_0394.jpg

and in this one u can see that metal plate i didnt take off becuase i wasnt sure how.. it kinda ugly lookin and was worse before cleaning/scraping
100_0406.jpg

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you remove & replace that rusty welsh plug in your last picture... ?
I noticed it in one of your video's... :smile:KennyV

tonyvisone

Threads
reynoldston- still wondering what you mean by "didn't remove the soft plug on the outside of the carburetor"

and kennyv- not sure what you mean either by "welsh plug" so i labelled that pic so you can tell me....
Carblabelled.jpg

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I see two soft plugs. No big deal to remove both of them. One was by the low speed air adjustment screw and the other was in the last picture. From the looks of the carburetor it looks like you should disassemble everything you can on it and give it a good overnight socking. Then blow out every thing with compressed air and clean all the small openings with small tag wire. It is hard to diagnose a engine off a computer picture. Another thing you might want to check is valve adjustment. They should be .006+ exhaust .012+ intake. No big job to check seeing you have the carburetor off anyways. Remove the cover with the two small screws in back of the carburetor and check the valves at TDC. If the valves are tight that isn't too bad of a job on that engine.

tonyvisone

Threads
where are the soft plugs you are talking about? i cleaned the carb twice already and installed most of the rebuild parts. it idles and drive fine with no valve ticking if that tells you anything.

also, im wondering what parts A, E and F are

tonyvisone

Threads
is there a manual for THIS carb anywhere?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
One soft plug is A and seeing you don't show the other one I think it is E. Do you know where the low speed air adjustment screw is? It is right above that. Your valves will not make a clicking noise when tight and tight valves make for a bad running engine and on top of that it is a good way to burn the valve seats then you run them tight. Like I said it is a small job to check them seeing you have the carburetor off anyways so why not. Remove two screws, put engine on TDC, slide a feeler between the valve stems and lifters. Should take less then 5 minutes. Also looking at your picture it looks like you have a bad carburetor flange gasket. If you have a vacuum leak at this point you will never get the snowblower to run right.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads