Changing motors

jcobo

Threads
I have been told that I own a Model L with a 7.6 Hp Kohler. For various reasons it is not running and at minus 40 degrees it is too cold to work on.

The only good thing is that at -40 it is generally too cold to snow. :smile:

I have acquired 16 Hp and 18 Hp Kohler motors, can they be used to replace the original motor?

Will either one work on a Commercial 12?

John

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have been told that I own a Model L with a 7.6 Hp Kohler. For various reasons it is not running and at minus 40 degrees it is too cold to work on.

The only good thing is that at -40 it is generally too cold to snow. :smile:

I have acquired 16 Hp and 18 Hp Kohler motors, can they be used to replace the original motor?

Will either one work on a Commercial 12?

John

At -40 is too cold for any thing. The coolies we have had it here in NY this year is +10. You need a heated shop to work in. I heat my shop with my own wood so it's cheap heat. As far as changing the engines if you have the skills, tools, and a little heat in your shop it shouldn't be too bad of a job.

Richard-TX

Threads
Model L tractors never came with Kohlers and there are no Kohlers made with a 7.6 horsepower rating. What you likely have is a Gravely engine on that model L.

Oldgravelys.net has manuals.

Changing the motor is not an easy chore as it requires an adapter plate, a gear, and more to be installed on the end of crank of the new engine.

I was thinking about changing engines on a two wheel gravely and for what it would cost me I could buy one, so I bought one.