How long do you expect your mower to last?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you bought the mower you are now using...
What is the length of time you figured it would be before you needed to replace it?
I guess another way to look at it is how much money do you feel is reasonable to have tied up in lawn equipment over a 10 year period?
I am asking this because in another thread Ric mentioned.."I find that the typical home owner buys a mower.. on a yearly basis and when something goes wrong ... it becomes a throw away and they just purchase another mower .." I tend to agree with him as I have seen a lot of people do exactly that...

So I was wondering how much do you feel you need to have invested in your mower to expect It is going to last...? And what length of time is reasonable to expect?

OR was life span not in the calculation of your mower choice...?

Just curious / :smile:KennyV

ae_ted

Forum Newbie
Threads
bought a used Kubota ZD21 60" diesel mower this spring with 700hrs. Now it has 730hrs and I expect it to outlast me...I am 57. At approx 60hr per year of use, it should easily go to 2000hrs. I really like this heavy built mower, it replaced a Woods front deck 6180 52" mower that was new in 1996 and lasted 705 hrs before the B&S vanguard motor blew up.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I expect the Ventrac to outlast me. Even if something major goes wrong with the engine (and I don't expect that) the rest of the tractor is built well enough to just replace the engine and keep on going !
VENTRAC builds their products to last and I expect that this one will. Made in USA ! :thumbsup:

This machine was not inexpensive, but it isn't cheaply built junk ! :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Hershey

Threads
In no way do I consider a lawn mower a throw away item. Maybe it is if you buy one at the old five and dime. While we don't have one right now, any mower we've owned in the past has lasted at least 10 years.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the length of time you figured it would be before you needed to replace it?
I guess another way to look at it is how much money do you feel is reasonable to have tied up in lawn equipment over a 10 year period?
I am asking this because in another thread Ric mentioned.."I find that the typical home owner buys a mower.. on a yearly basis and when something goes wrong ... it becomes a throw away and they just purchase another mower .." I tend to agree with him as I have seen a lot of people do exactly that...

So I was wondering how much do you feel you need to have invested in your mower to expect It is going to last...? And what length of time is reasonable to expect?

By "mower" do you mean walk behind type, rider, garden tractor, compact utility tractor, etc?

I bought my Deere 4210 with the intention of it outlasting me, it's 8 years old, 760 hours, and I am 59 so I think it will last me my lifetime.

Self-propelled push mowers,I buy a new one every three years for a maximum of $250 and I wear them out...do a LOT of cutting with them.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
By "mower" do you mean walk behind type, rider, garden tractor, compact utility tractor, etc?

Yep... if you got it to cut grass (or weeds:biggrin:) I would include it as a mower...:smile:KennyV

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I think if you maintain it right and don't abuse it in the field (or lawn), a good riding mower or tractor should last 20+ years without any problem. Of course, part of maintenance for long life would be routine deck cleaning and/or repainting to prevent rust, winterizing, and oil/fluid/filter/belt changes.

Push mowers, well since they're small and easy to forget about, we tend to do things like leave them in the barn all winter or under 3' of snow. Not the best conditions for a little engine. :thumbdown:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

The typical home owner property consist of a lot which is 4 to 5000 sq.ft. Now on that lot we have a house which the average is approximately 1700 to 2000 sq.ft. for most people, now add the garage and driveway and sidewalks and you end up with approximately 2000 sq.ft. left to mow. Now the typical home owner will buy a 20 or 22" mower with a 3.5 to a 5hp B&S motor, price being in the ball park of $200 and he never checks or changes the oil, changes an air filter or a spark plug, all he does is mow and when he is done it gets left or pushed into the shed until he needs to mow the lawn the next time and the mower becomes a throw away at the end of the year.
The Kubota ZD21 60" diesel, Ventrac, the John Deere 4210 although are fantastic mowers I would not classify them as a typical home owners mower:smile: I mean lets get real these mowers probably get more attention than your wives do.:laughing:

stanley

Threads
I just bought my walk behind 4 months ago, and I plan on keeping it and maintaining it for 20 years. This is the last push lawnmower I plan on buying.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Ventrac is used for much more than just mowing and, yes it gets attention (not more than the wife) all my machinery and tools get attention. Just my opinion, but it is a waste of money to let equipment go without maintaining it. Take care of things and they work longer and better plus they are worth more if you ever want to sell them.:smile:
The Kubota ZD21 60" diesel, Ventrac, the John Deere 4210 although are fantastic mowers I would not classify them as a typical home owners mower:smile: I mean lets get real these mowers probably get more attention than your wives do.:laughing: