How long do you expect your mower to last?

jtyrie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just replaced my push mower last week. It is 12 years old. The only reason that I replaced it is because I was faced with a transmission replacement as well as engine power loss problems. I probably could have handled putting the new transmission in but just didn't want to go down the road of a possible engine rebuild. I expect to get at least 12 years out of the new one, although it has more "gadgets" that can nickel and dime me after it gets a few years on it.

mcguirepv

Forum Newbie
Threads
I won my current push mower off of a radio contest about 15 years ago. It is a rotary mower made by Toro. It is called a "Recycler" and there is no discharge chute at all on it nor is there a provision for one. It is one of the true, 100 % mulchers I have seen. It has a decal on it that says that it is guaranteed to start on the 1st or 2nd pull for the 1st two years of ownership. To this day it usually starts on the 1st pull although after sitting idle for a winter it may take two pulls. I don't know how long I thought it would last but it has surprised me quite a bit. It has always been garaged and it looks like I got it just a couple of years ago so it might last another 15 years with ease. I hope that I will last longer than this mower.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I won my current push mower 15 years ago.

I hope that I will last longer than this mower.

Nothing better than a FREE mower ... UNLESS it's a free mower that lasts a decade and a half, and still looking for more.
BTW welcome to this forum... it keeps growing and more good mower reports... :smile:KennyV

ccj1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Country Clipper res. ZTR that is about 3 years old, I will try to make it last at least 10; a ? push mower that was donated to me (? years old) I used it for a little over a year, with much abuse, and may have killed it; and a 1949(?) Jari sicklebar mower. The Jari has an old B+S engine, hasn't been started in about 10 years, but I expect will outlast me with ease. I'm sure I could start it now if I wanted to. I won't buy another B+S. The Country Clipper has one that is a sad excuse in comparison to the old Jari.

Zeroturn

Threads
Well nothing is as good as it used to be. My dad still had my gramps old lawn mower and it's still in good condition.
I expect the zero-turn to last over 15 years. I don't think that is unreasonable.

noma

Threads
hi CCJ 1

I also have a country clipper and have had it for now going on three years and have not had any problem with it. What kind of issues have you had, i think its a darn good mower ? Witch model do you have?.

Bruce Mowbray

Threads
I have a Husqvarna 54" lawn tractor with a 23 HP Kawasaki engine and I've owned it for 5 years now. I mow about 3 acres every other week on average. In the winter I use it to blow snow off the 600 foot long driveway. I have already done some minor repairs on it like fixing a broken seat bracket and a broken deck mount bar. I consider these minor repairs and with the hilly land I mow I feel that these are expected. If something major goes bad, I'll probably fix it in my shop as well. I hope to get 10 years from it but we will see. I make sure I always wash under the deck every time I mow and change the oil annually.

I also have a hand me down Lawn Boy 21" push mower from the 1970's to mow on the really steep parts. I think that one is living on borrowed time and the only part I ever changed was the blade and the pull cord.It always surprises me when I finish mowing with it another time.

cohen

Threads
xxx in another thread Ric mentioned.."I find that the typical home owner buys a mower.. on a yearly basis and when something goes wrong ... it becomes a throw away and they just purchase another mower .." I tend to agree with him as I have seen a lot of people do exactly that... xxx

Just curious / :smile:KennyV

This is scary. I couldn't believe people have to buy a mower yearly. Are these really typical home owners? or home owners in Beverly Hills 20210?

Anyhow, I look forward to have a ride-on mower one day when I retire. This forum is helping me have a good idea of what to buy and what not to buy, and what to do after I buy, etc. Thanks guys! :biggrin:

briggs

Threads
alot of the new stuff is made very cheap ..it also depends on how well its been looked after ...I find most people don't do maintenance ....I deal with a dealer not a box store for my mowers

Gabi

Threads
I find new stuff is disposable. Nothing is made to last anymore. The prices are still the same but the quality just isn't there. I find it's the same for appliances as well.