Honda GCV160 wont start

aouate3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, i have a Troy-built mower with a GCV160 engine, few months back it was having trouble starting, took almost 10 pulls before it started, then just a month ago, the engine wouldnt start at all, so i pulled off the carb, cleaned it all out with carb cleaner, pulled out the main jet and emulsion tube, cleaned them, cleaned the float and an needle valve, checked the needle valve too, its opening and closing fine. i reused the old gaskets because they looked fine.

i reassembled the carb and put it on, engine still wouldnt start, noticed it was making a sucking sound at the exhaust, so i figured it must be a stuck valve, so i popped off the OHC cover and unhooked the valve spring..then the valve fell into the block. so i popped open the engine block, unbolted the piston, removed the flywhell, removed the crankshaft, inspected it, all was fine, removed the piston, cleaned the thick layer of sludge on the piston head and the chamber walls, removed both valves and cleaned them, renstalled them, reinstalled the piston, crankshaft, valve timing belt, aligned the timing marks to make sure the timing was right, new coat of gasket sealent, reassembled the block, put the exhaust on, new spark plug, checked the voltage from the magneto, mounted the carb, govenor assembly, gas tank, flywheel puller, and mounted the engine back on the mower.

darn thing still wont start.. UNLESS i spray some carb cleaner and some fuel injector cleaner into the spark plug hole, then it will run perfectly find, except for the huge cloud of white smoke it produces... I have a feeling its not even sucking in gas from the carb's bowl or there is something else going on..

Sorry for the horrible spelling, typing fast, lots of stuff to do, im 17 and have a lot of homework i need to get done for tomorrow (procrastination isnt a good thing)

Please help revive this engine, i really need to cut the grass.. getting kinda long

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Getting the engine started on carb cleaner or the like indicates that you have a carb problem. Either not getting fuel through the carb or the choke isn't working properly. I have found one the honda's with the lever that you flip for the choke that if you miss the little tab the operates in when you reinstall the carb the choke won't operate properly.

stampy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I had this exact problem on a mower i picked up. I replaced the plug with a different brand and it starts first pull now.

I realise this is a basic reply but as you did i took the whole thing apart firs as you did. Also mke sure the gasket between the carb and body is not missing or the choke wont work.
Hope this helps

woodfar

Threads
Had same problem with my GC160. turned out to be primer/fuel pump. Also had cracks in rubber hoses, just kept sucking air after primer was replaced. Not an expert just what I discovered.

aouate3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, sorry it took me so long to reply back, i did have the metal plate backwards, i put it on right, but it still wont start, but on the side of the block there is a black tube coming from a metal plate bolted to the block, the tube is connected to the air filter's holder, i noticed oil was dripping from the metal plate and there is some oil in the carb, is it possibile that somehow oil is being pumped into the carb, and the fuel intake is being decreased because of the oil? it makes sense in my mind

aouate3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Or could it be bad piston rings that are keeping it from starting? bad piston rings wouldnt explain why there is oil through the breather

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, sorry it took me so long to reply back, i did have the metal plate backwards, i put it on right, but it still wont start, but on the side of the block there is a black tube coming from a metal plate bolted to the block, the tube is connected to the air filter's holder, i noticed oil was dripping from the metal plate and there is some oil in the carb, is it possibile that somehow oil is being pumped into the carb, and the fuel intake is being decreased because of the oil? it makes sense in my mind

If you tip the mower carb side down, oil can flow from the crankcase through the breather tube, into the air cleaner, etc. Always tip the mower with the carb side up. I had some similar problems with my Honda HRX (GCV190 engine) mower and after a couple of hours fiddling with it, gave up and just bolted on a new carb (<$20) and fresh gaskets. Problem solved. If you'll get me the frame serial number for your mower (near the grass bag hinge) I can get you the list price and part number for a carb and gaskets. Of course, be sure to clean out the breather tube and replace the air filter if they are oily. Finally, check the choke linkage and ensure the choke closes properly with the lever in the CHOKE position.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

Attachments

• hrr_carb.jpg
    hrr_carb.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 209
  • hrr_carb_diss_1.jpg
    hrr_carb_diss_1.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 211
  • hrr_gov_rod.jpg
    hrr_gov_rod.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 215

aouate3

Forum Newbie
Threads
guess i forgot to mention this, it leaks from there when the lawnmower is running, when its not running, its fine. i have the right amount of oil in it, so i dont know whats wrong

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I spoke with our tech guys, and they said there are three areas where oil can leak out when the engine is running:

(1) Governor shaft: When properly filled with oil, the oil level will not be higher than the governor shaft. If there's too much oil, it can blow out of the opening (red circle) for the shaft as there is no seal there.

(2) Top bearing: If the crank is bent or other damage, the upper bearing (red circle) can develop a wobble or vibration enough to cause oil to leak out.

(3) Breather tube gasket: Where the breather tube connects (green circle) to the engine is a small gasket (red circle) with three holes that are supposed to be plugged up when properly installed.

Here are some illustrations from the parts catalog:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

Attachments

• gc160_gov_shaft.jpg
    gc160_gov_shaft.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 178
  • gc160_breather_bearing.jpg
    gc160_breather_bearing.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 190

aouate3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, i will look these over and see what i can figure out, i will post my findings as soon as i can, it may not for a couple days due to the fact i may have to be hospitalized (heart issues)

PS: if this is of any use, the number on the side of the engine is GJAEA-1087981