broken con rod

mumptia

Threads
This is going to be the place where the money is going to be made.

Agreed.

What about the diagnostice equipment?

Years ago it was specific machine l;oaded with the software.

Is alot of the software able to be loaded onto laptops and used with brand specific cords now?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Agreed.

What about the diagnostice equipment?

Years ago it was specific machine l;oaded with the software.

Is alot of the software able to be loaded onto laptops and used with brand specific cords now?

I got out of that part of it in the mid 90's. Yes there was diagnostic equipment, but all it did was give you a idea where to start looking for the problem. Also as I recalled it could also be loaded into a laptop also. All it is, is another tool. There is no magic computer to tell what is wrong so you still need all the basic knowledge of repairs, wiring diagrams, and common sense. You will find a that a circuit will go through several switches and senors before it doses what it is suppose to do. All the diagnostic equipment is going to tell you that what circuit is bad but not where the wire is broken in a spot you can't see or what switch or sensor is bad. That part comes with experience and knowledge. It is coming more and more, just look at the new cars or motorcycles and you can bet it will be coming to the lawn mowers. So lets not forget to teach the basics first because you will find a engine runs the same today as it did in the early 1900's. fuel, spark, compression, and timing

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Exactly, when I taught marine (boat) EFI, the fastest way to stump the students during troubleshooting was to remove the fuel or spark (air leak or shorted plugs. Usually did it first to shake the students out of the "computer must be bad" mindset.

Last edited:

mumptia

Threads
Exactly, when I taught marine (boat) EFI, the fastest way to stump the students during troubleshooting was to remove the fuel or spark (air leak or shorted plugs. Usually did it first to shake the students out of the "computer must be bad" mindset.

My biggestet obstacle is getting tools organized and back in the box. Some classes are excellent, but some:confused2:

Hehe, my 13 year old son just told me he wants to be a mechanic. I asked him which one, small engine, automotive or heavy duty? He said all of them. I said thats awsome and that he should by expensive tools so I can borrow them.

I wonder if he'll store his tools on the lawn like he does mine:wink:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I started out with my grandson with a old ATV that needed a lot of work. What I did worked with him making sure he did most of the work. When it wasn't done right he had to do it over till it was because I didn't do it for him. He sure got sick of working on the brakes. It kept his interest up because he wanted to ride it. After a few days of work he soon got it out of his head he wanted to be a mechanic. I know when I was young I couldn't get enough of it and that was the way I made my living. I hope the same for your son if he enjoys it. As far as the tools went, is when the day was over they got cleaned and put back into the tool box. I think when your son gets older and a big tool account with the snap-on tool company he will learn what tools cost and a lost tool is no good and you just have to buy it over again.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Someone that Cleans his tools Before putting them away, Knows what he's doing...
It is amazing to me that there are folks with tools that think it is Okay to get their hands dirty just getting their tools out... before they start working... :smile:KennyV

mumptia

Threads
Someone that Cleans his tools Before putting them away, Knows what he's doing...
It is amazing to me that there are folks with tools that think it is Okay to get their hands dirty just getting their tools out... before they start working... :smile:KennyV

I asked a fella how many employees he had working for him once and he said "well, I pay 50 but I don't know how many work for me.":wink:

I've worked with guys who thought that dirty hands meant you're working hard. The circle usually comes full round for those fellas.