Need a replacement engine

rbur

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, I have a 2005 craftsman LT 2000 with a 18.5 B & S OHV Intek engine 31P777-0299E1. My wife was mowing and it quit. Never had a problem with it before. It won't turn over and I can't turn it by hand. I was told it probably got to hot and broke a valve or something and locked the engine because the prong on the spark plug is bent and the ceremic end is broken. I changed the oil regularly but was lax with cleaning the air filter and I think that is the reason the engine is now ruined. Anyway, I am sure the engine is shot.

My question is what would be a good and reasonably priced engine to drop in it. I am not a great mechanic by any means and I need one that will drop right in without any hole drilling or re-rigging the throttle cable, wiring etc. All of the other parts on the engine are good and I can take them off to put on a new engine if needed. Any advice is appreciated.

jhwentworth

Threads
Hello all, I have a 2005 craftsman LT 2000 with a 18.5 B & S OHV Intek engine 31P777-0299E1. My wife was mowing and it quit. Never had a problem with it before. It won't turn over and I can't turn it by hand. I was told it probably got to hot and broke a valve or something and locked the engine because the prong on the spark plug is bent and the ceremic end is broken. I changed the oil regularly but was lax with cleaning the air filter and I think that is the reason the engine is now ruined. Anyway, I am sure the engine is shot.

My question is what would be a good and reasonably priced engine to drop in it. I am not a great mechanic by any means and I need one that will drop right in without any hole drilling or re-rigging the throttle cable, wiring etc. All of the other parts on the engine are good and I can take them off to put on a new engine if needed. Any advice is appreciated.

I really think it would be smart to either inspect the engine internals yourself, or take it to a shop and have them do it. First get the repair cost, then make the decision to replace or repair. If you want a "drop-in" replacement engine you're probably looking at a new B&S Intec at $600 plus cost of install. You can get short-block engines, but there's a lot of labor there.

Were the valves clacking before the problem occurred? Any problems with hard starting? I've seen them when the valve came loose and hit the plug, and all that was required was a new valve and a new plug. Other times it didn't end that well, but you have to look inside to know.

Hoss

Threads
I would have a pro diagnose it first before you get all radical on it and replace the whole thing. More times than not it's a small part that just blew out with time.

Walt 2002

Threads
The most common cause of what you describe is the carb float needle leaking, contaminating the oil with gasoline and rod failure due to lose of lubrication. Your problem may be something else. IF you can not turn the engine by placing the Palm of your hand on the flywheel screen with the spark plug removed, then that is likely.

A valve adjustment, jumped push rod, etc. will not cause what you describe. Price above for replacement engine is in range. You might check Tulsa Small Engine or Small Engine Warehouse.

WHEN you get engine fixed or replacement, best investment you can make is an in line gas shut off valve and use it when engine is not running.

Walt Conner

rbur

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice.

rbur

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Update on replacement engine post

I pulled the head off the B&S 18.5 OHV Intek engine on my 2005 Craftsman LT 2000 and I found pretty much total destruction of the engine, at least IMHO. All types and manner of metal fell on the shop floor. Two rods fell out, large chunks of the piston and rings, valve parts etc. What was left of the piston was jammed kind of sideways, one valve busted and bent in the head. But hey, one valve looked normal, imagine that. This inspection at least let me make up my mind to purchase a replacement engine. I just wish I knew what caused this diseaster. I change the oil and replace or clean the air filter regularly.

Walt 2002

Threads
Re: Update on replacement engine post

rbur;4566 I just wish I knew what caused this diseaster. I change the oil and replace or clean the air filter regularly.[/QUOTE said:
I told you above what caused it. You have to learn to check your oil BEFORE starting the engine AND install the gas line shut off valve.

Walt Conner

rbur

Forum Newbie
Threads
Walt, believe me, I will do what you suggested. Thanks for the advice.

MLCinNCTX

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you have to have a new engine here is one. Briggs & Stratton Intek Vertical OHV Engine with Electric Start — 21 HP, 1in. x 3 5/32in. Shaft, Model# 331877-0036-G1 | 391cc - 600cc Briggs & Stratton Vertical Engines | Northern Tool + Equipment

If it were me I would hit Craigslist and find a whole "parts mower". Generally folks tear up the mower deck before the chassis and this results in the uneven cut. The Dallas Craigslist is full of riders, a number of them are Craftsmen, in the $200 - $400 bracket. This would leave you with spare tires and chassis parts.

busted bolts

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like you have a mess on your hands. Here is a few tips which some have already mentioned above. If all the internals are wiped get a price on a short block. (some times the block and labor are close to new complete), Try to get exact replacement. You know the holes line up, and all you'll have to do is change a couple of things over. Beware of ordering engines on line. Some are legit, and some are over stocks that do not have a manufact warranty. A reputable briggs dealer can make shure you have the correct cross over, and for what you pay in freight charges for on line purchases, this could go towards the dealer labor to install it and make shure all warranty card and other info is submitted for briggs. (it has a paper trail). Its fun to do by your self, but when you start having problems with removing the crank pulley(s), you'll wish you sent it out first.:biggrin: