new member here with a bagging question

89fltioga

Forum Newbie
Threads
i just bought a bagger for my 42" cut rider and it dont seem to be picking up the way i thought it would, im trying to get oak leaves up. I have mulching blades on the mower and was wondering if they are the wrong ones to use now that i have the bagger on. do i need to change the blades to a normal hi lift type instead of the mulching ones or doesnt it make a difference? thanks

89fltioga

Forum Newbie
Threads
from a google search:

There is a difference between a blade designed for mulching and one for bagging. The bagging blades are generally pretty much straight and sharpened only about 2 - 3 inches on each end with a substantial pitch on the back side opposite the sharpened side for lift. Mulching blades have some curve to them and are sharpened further towards the center and have very little pitch and do not provide much if any lift. There are combination blades that can do both jobs but not as good as a blade designed for the specific application. If you want good bagging performance, you need to be sure that you have a bagging blade installed.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use the original non mulching blades to pick up leaves. The leaves must either be mostly dry or
( I just experienced) freeze dry. Otherwise clogging. You probably know this already. Also be sure
your tube gasket is reasonably snug. Also take a look around the deck exit into the up tube for wet
mud-grass-leaf buildup. (Craftsman dyt 4000/Intek 48")

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
There is a difference between bagging blades and mulching blades.

Bagging ones have "lifts" at the ends of the blades to throw the grass, or leaves in this case into the bag.

Mulching blades are just flat as far as I know.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Agreed; mulching blades are designed to keep the grass "in-play" so that the blades can cut it fine and drop it into the lawn. Regular blades are designed to propell the grass out from under the deck.