oil leak- MTD rider, tecumseh 13HP

rigoletto

Threads
Hi folks,

First time here! Have an MTD rider, 13HP tecumseh OHV 130 engine, 1997. Severe oil leakage is seen right where the engine base sits on the black steel MTD frame base. I even added tracer dye, and its glowing with a blacklight. Im guesssing its the lower (main?) engine seal.

I peeked under there and looks like I first have to start by unbolting the pulley, right?

Thanks!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As a rule it isn't a bad job. If it is leaking oil on the pully it should come right off. Drill a small hole into the old seal and install a self taping screw into it. The old seal should pull right out. Now just tap the new seal in with a small hammer.

Last edited:

rigoletto

Threads
As a rule it isn't a bad job. If it is leaking oil on the pully it should come right off. Drill a small hole into the old seal and install a self taping into it. The old seal should pull right out. Now just tap the new seal in with a small hammer.

Thnaks, reynold! Geez, thats all there is to it?? Great!! Now, that pulley- it comes off easy by unscrewing a bolt? set screw? other?

Thnaks!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is just a bolt that holds the pulley on. Like reynoldston said with all the oil dripping on the pulley it should come off easy. Key word is should.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

rigoletto

Threads
OK, I get it, Car! Thnaks!!

rigoletto

Threads
Hi Guys,

Well, that pulley is not "pulling right out". The 16mm bolt head , upon turning to loosen, turns the pulley/crank shaft spinning round, of course. Looks like no way around wrapping one of those chain "strap" wrenches around that pulley, right?

But that is a chore. Man, there are 2 stud like "guards" which prevent the belt from jumping the pulley notch, of course, and as a result, its so hard to get up in there with the wrench/chain.

Oh well, I will not give up. As long as Im on the right track, right guys? Other ways to do this?

Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most of the mtd's have studs that have a 1/4 hex on the end and they unscrew with a 1/4 wrench. they have a 1/4-20 thread on the end that screws in to the frame. Just make sure you get them back into the correct holes in the frame because most have more than one. An inpact wrench is the easiest way to remove the bolt that holds the pulley on.

fastback

Threads
If you have access to a 1/2 drive air gun it will come off easily. I have had a lot of success using this method when I remove the electric clutch.

rigoletto

Threads
Big thanks, guys. Yeah, I thought of a impact gun. But cant get one easily. I will try harder with my chain /strap wrench. I will let yous know what happens!!

Oh, anybody have a rough idea of the torque for that 16mm/5/8" bolt for after when I put it back together?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
50 ft/lb torque for the pulley bolt