Want to make a fast lawn mower tractor.

Highpockets

Forum Newbie
Threads

motorrefurb

Threads
If you don't know what a governor is I don't think its a good idea to make a racing mower. Not trying to put down your dreams but ask someone to do it for you so it will work :biggrin:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you don't know what a governor is I don't think its a good idea to make a racing mower. Not trying to put down your dreams but ask someone to do it for you so it will work :biggrin:

Once Jonas94 has removed the governor, he might as well remove the mower deck. The reason is that after this is done all the mower would be good for is going fast or a salvage yard. So I guess what difference would it make. I am sure he knows he will be destroying his mower, his money and mower so I say go for it. I am seeing people all the time trying to repair there mower on this forum and not knowing what they are doing.

tralala

Forum Newbie
Threads
depending to the grass as well to the mow together with the effort of tractor

Alasdair

Threads
Get a combination hour meter/tachometer like the one Norther Tool sells. That way you can keep an eye on the rpm's with the governor removed. I know for a fact these engines can spin 5,500 rpm's with no damage.

Having no governor will make it difficult cutting too, the engine will bog in thick grass unless you open it up, and race at mega revs in thin grass unless you back off throttle, and your centre of gravity would cause an instant flip over if you try turning at high speed. You'd need independent front suspension, roll bar, harness, a helmet and life insurance.

snapsstorer

Threads
one ofthe rules of the lawn mower races is that the blade is removed for safety precuations. if it flips, you do not want the blades to engage and chew the body to pieces. the best way to improve on the speed is to use larger pulleys to drive smaller pulleys, thus increasing the speed. of course you may have to rrebuild the drive axle and installl heaveir gears and seals

thirdroc17

Threads
I'm new here, but a governor does many things, including keeping the engine at a SAFE operating speed. Removing the governor is fine, IF, you replace the stock flywheel with a steel billet, replace or rework the crank, etc. When that stock flywheel comes apart, and it will sooner or later, the damage it will do is remarkable. You might think losing a leg or life is fun, but the innocent bystander might have a different opinion.

As for the above comment about safety at 5,500 rpm, be cautious, I've seen pictures of flywheels that came apart well below that speed. 4,000 rpm would be a much more reasonable number unless you're made the appropriate modifications.

Dale, likes to go fast, but also likes to stay in one piece.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm new here, but a governor does many things, including keeping the engine at a SAFE operating speed. Removing the governor is fine, IF, you replace the stock flywheel with a steel billet, replace or rework the crank, etc. When that stock flywheel comes apart, and it will sooner or later, the damage it will do is remarkable. You might think losing a leg or life is fun, but the innocent bystander might have a different opinion.

As for the above comment about safety at 5,500 rpm, be cautious, I've seen pictures of flywheels that came apart well below that speed. 4,000 rpm would be a much more reasonable number unless you're made the appropriate modifications.

Dale, likes to go fast, but also likes to stay in one piece.

My grandson ran a go-cart with just a stock lawn mower engine and no governor for years till the connecting rod broke but never had flywheel or crank problems. My son-in-law replaced the rod and grandson ran it till he had out grown the go cart. Still runs. Of course I have no idea how many RPM it ran other then it made a lot of noise seeing it ran a pipe and no muffler.

thirdroc17

Threads
My grandson ran a go-cart with just a stock lawn mower engine and no governor for years till the connecting rod broke but never had flywheel or crank problems. My son-in-law replaced the rod and grandson ran it till he had out grown the go cart. Still runs. Of course I have no idea how many RPM it ran other then it made a lot of noise seeing it ran a pipe and no muffler.

If you're happy putting your grandson at risk, that's your choice. I'm not here to argue, just saying more than one person has lost a limb, or worse, running an engine without a governor that was designed to have one on it.

Dale

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most of the dirt tracks around here run go carts on Sundays and in the 20 years I have been going I have never saw a fly wheel come apart. Now I have broke fly wheel bolts in my car

Sent from my iPhone using LMF