Why is my Craftsman self-propelled rear wheel drive push mower not working?

mudcat

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Why is my Craftsman self-propelled rear wheel drive push mower not working?
My rear wheels on this mower will not turn. The gear box which turn the rear wheels works and the axle turns but the pawl inside retainer drive is not engaging inside the the wheel part to turn the gear. I do not know if it is just the torsion spring which makes the pawl move or if it more parts I need in the wheel gear assembly part like disc drive or friction seal. This is a craftsman 6.5 hp rear wheel drive. model no. 917.377840. Anyone have a lawnmower like this and ever had this problem? I do not want to buy a bunch of parts I do not need just guessing..would appreciate some help.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My rear wheels on this mower will not turn. The gear box which turn the rear wheels works and the axle turns but the pawl inside retainer drive is not engaging inside the the wheel part to turn the gear. I do not know if it is just the torsion spring which makes the pawl move or if it more parts I need in the wheel gear assembly part like disc drive or friction seal. This is a craftsman 6.5 hp rear wheel drive. model no. 917.377840. Anyone have a lawnmower like this and ever had this problem? I do not want to buy a bunch of parts I do not need just guessing..would appreciate some help.

Your best thing to do is pull both both sides apart. Lay the parts out as you take it apart for each side. CLEAN PARTS REAL WELL. Compare the parts on both sides and only buy what looks worn out or broken. No one can tell what you need on a forum for parts without looking at it.

Sabretooth

Forum Newbie
Threads
i just ran into the same problem. I have the model # 917.377060, purchased in Feb. 2005 and has worked great. I replaced the blade at the end of last season with one of those heavy duty(red) blades, and i replaced the rear wheels before last season, as the treads were worn out. But my first time using it this year, the rear wheel drive doesnt work. I took off the gear box cover, turned it on, engaged the drive, and notice the belt appeared loose. Perhaps the belt is just worn out and needs replacing. It's a $10.00 item on searspartsdirect.com. I'm going to start with that and see if it works.