Why is my Craftsman self-propelled rear wheel drive push mower not working?

mudcat

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Why is my Craftsman self-propelled rear wheel drive push mower not working?
My rear wheels on this mower will not turn. The gear box which turn the rear wheels works and the axle turns but the pawl inside retainer drive is not engaging inside the the wheel part to turn the gear. I do not know if it is just the torsion spring which makes the pawl move or if it more parts I need in the wheel gear assembly part like disc drive or friction seal. This is a craftsman 6.5 hp rear wheel drive. model no. 917.377840. Anyone have a lawnmower like this and ever had this problem? I do not want to buy a bunch of parts I do not need just guessing..would appreciate some help.

Threads
when you say the trans works is that under a load or just with the wheels off i have seen this problem and on just about all that i have fixed it has come to the belt no in the gears and springs send me a pic to nwasmallengine@yahoo (anti spam if you get my point) .com

mudcat

Forum Newbie
Threads
when you say the trans works is that under a load or just with the wheels off i have seen this problem and on just about all that i have fixed it has come to the belt no in the gears and springs send me a pic to nwasmallengine@yahoo (anti spam if you get my point) .com

Nothing wrong with the belt or tension on it or any drive control..I solved it myself..it was the tension spring and the pawls not engaging the gear inside the wheel part to make the wheel turn.Also had a little gunk and rust on the pawl and friction disc..I sanded and polished all this smooth with sandpaper and now works fine. I didnt even spend any money on the new tension spring stupid high priced sears wanted for there craftsman part....$12.19 for a little piece of coiled wire they call a spring...I just took some needle nosed pliers and a torch heated it and with a little shaping it when it was cherry red..I have a new tension spring..I do not know why craftsman parts cost so darn much....its a disgrace how they want to gouge you.

MountainView

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nothing wrong with the belt or tension on it or any drive control..I solved it myself..it was the tension spring and the pawls not engaging the gear inside the wheel part to make the wheel turn.Also had a little gunk and rust on the pawl and friction disc..I sanded and polished all this smooth with sandpaper and now works fine. I didnt even spend any money on the new tension spring stupid high priced sears wanted for there craftsman part....$12.19 for a little piece of coiled wire they call a spring...I just took some needle nosed pliers and a torch heated it and with a little shaping it when it was cherry red..I have a new tension spring..I do not know why craftsman parts cost so darn much....its a disgrace how they want to gouge you.

I have the EXACT same problem as you did, but was stupid enough to have my engine repair guy replace the L & R pinion assemblies. The problem is, the mower only propels itself for about a minute or so then stops. The repair guy replaced the assemblies again with the same results! He's given up on it, and I'm out $200! When I kick the tires on the side it sometimes re-engages the pawls, but it doesn't last long. I open up the transmission and the gears looked fine. I even used duct tape to hold the tension springs in tight - I have a steep and rough lawn, it didn't help. The friction seals looked clean. Any suggestions?