Removing flywheel on push mower

Parkmower

Threads
I'm working on a old toro 2cyl push mower. The flywheel key is sheared and I can't get the wheel off. I tried prying while tapping the nut wit a hammer. Its made of cast aluminum and have already broke two fins. I don't have a thread in puller. Any suggestions?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm working on a old toro 2cyl push mower. The flywheel key is sheared and I can't get the wheel off. I tried prying while tapping the nut wit a hammer. Its made of cast aluminum and have already broke two fins. I don't have a thread in puller. Any suggestions?

If you are going to work on your own mower to save money invest in the right tools. You can buy cheaper and workable tools from a place like harbor freight. What little you will be using them they should last you a life time and just think of the money they will save you in the future on other repairs.

Parkmower

Threads
I have a full professional shop with welders compressors large gears pullers large wrenches. Usually work on larger equip . Was asking for suggestions

Parkmower

Threads
Have about 7 of these old mowers that are "junked" I'm piecing together a few to run.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a full professional shop with welders compressors large gears pullers large wrenches. Was asking for suggestions

Sorry I didn't know this if I gave you bad information. Just trying to help. You said you didn't have a puller that fit?? I have removed a lot of flywheels in my repair shop and some come off harder then others. I have tryed to remove a flywheel by prying on the bottom and hitting on the top of the crank but had no luck at times. There is times you just have to use a puller and unless someone else smarter then me knows of a different way I don't know. I would say see your snap-on man and get the right puller. Also there is times I just have to make one of my pullers work that I have.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Two mistakes often made using the pry bar and hammer method is:

1) too much force is applied to the pry bar. The only force needed there is to lift the weight of the flywheel and crank shaft the distance of the thrust bearing clearance. 5 pounds of weight on the end of a wonder bar (nail bar) is plenty.

2) the hammer was too small. Flush the nut with the end of the shaft and give the end of the shaft a good smack (subjective) with a 3 lb. hammer. Second choice of hammers is an 8 lb. sledge hammer dropped from about a foot distance above the shaft end.

Brute force won't usually separate tapers as well as shock force.

Parkmower

Threads
Ok I tried using a mini sledge.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads

Flush the nut with the end of the shaft and give the end of the shaft a good smack (subjective) with a 3 lb. hammer.

Brute force won't usually separate tapers as well as shock force.

This is what I'd try -- :laughing: in my unprofessional (hobbyist) opinion. :laughing:

Sometimes a few other things help with the above technique: (a) spray some Liquid Wrench (or other penetrating oil) onto the taper; (b) hold the engine (best to remove engine from deck) with your left hand and smack with your right; and (c) never apply a lot of force to the flywheel via a pry bar, etc -- there's a risk of doing damage.

Bear in mind that it's best to get the correct puller. :thumbsup:

Good luck those old Toro two-strokes. It sounds like a fun winter project. If you feel the urge you could probably sell the extra parts on eBay. As you probably know, the parts for those engines are pretty expensive new.

Parkmower

Threads
I gonna try make a puller. Shouldn't be too hard. Have everything to do it. This is one of the better mowers. I have it ready to go except for this key. Pretty sure someone hit something hard wit the blade and sheared the key. It seems like a common symptom on these I've been workin on. After I'm done I prob will part them out.

Two stroke I know you want a side discharge deck. I strip one down and see how much to ship.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I gonna try make a puller. Shouldn't be too hard. Have everything to do it. This is one of the better mowers. I have it ready to go except for this key. Pretty sure someone hit something hard wit the blade and sheared the key. It seems like a common symptom on these I've been workin on. After I'm done I prob will part them out.

Two stroke I know you want a side discharge deck. I strip one down and see how much to ship.

here's my :2cents:
You have already boogered up the fly wheel....right?
Since it's toast. and you have another. it's expendable...unless I missed something.
If you grab the fly wheel like 2 stroke says and tap....not pound...just tap lightly and repeatedly on the top of the crank and let gravity dislodge this unholy marriage...it will come apart, eventually. Use some PB blaster or what ever you like and it has no choice but to separate. If it won't come loose then it's probably damaged the crank beyond repair anyway...... right?