Engine Temp of Air Cooled Engines in Winter

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
In summer months we do everything we can to make the air cooled engines run cooler. But for those that use the tractor to blow snow, drive to the mail box or down to the Jiffy for morning coffee and chat, the engine not reaching designed operating temperature often presents a problem.

If you've pulled the dip stick and found a cream colored residue in random locations on the stick you know what I'm talking about. This, as I understand it, is condensation inside the crankcase and isn't a good thing and continues to worsen as long as the engine temperature is never elevated to higher temperatures to drive the moisture off.

Does anyone know of a thermostat design for air cooled engines that is reliable to maintain the engine oil around 180-200°F in winter months? If you do I'm all ears.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
This is just a thought, but perhaps you could make a custom fan to replace the current one but with less blades so it doesn't cool as much ?

Giles

Threads
This is a problem with water cooled engines as well, it's just not as noticable and maybe not as bad. Short driving, operating times is what most manufacturers refer to as "severe driving", along with extreme cold/hot/dusty and high load or high rpm operation.
That is why there are different service intervals for maintenance.
If I was concerned with this, I would have longer operating times and would change the oil accordingly.
Years ago, I had vehicles that would not run hot enough for the heater to work properly so I had to partually block the radiator. This was at a time when 180 degree Tstat was normal and if it was substituted for a 190 degree overheating in hot weather would be a greater problem.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I think I've seen grile covers in the accessory section for newer John Deere tractors (air cooled gas engines) for operating in winter weather. Similar to what Giles said, I'm sure one could rig up a cover.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You did not mention your winter ambient operating temp. I put an oil cooler on my intek'craftsman but can still get it up to 180-200F in 35-40F weather. It does take about 10-15 minutes. Surf the net for an oil thermostat . They surely are available.:wink:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I found several oil thermostats online. Ask and I will look up my notes.