Blade Removal

cassstl

Forum Newbie
Threads
What's the easiest way to remove blades on turf tiger? I bought the SCAG tool. What is the torque spec as well. Thanks so much!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use a 400 FTLB impact wrench with a socket on the blade bolt nut which is located on top of the spindle. The blade bolts are long and the front of the machine must be jacked up to provide enough clearance to remove the bolt from the spindle. I made up a long box wrench to reach the bolt head underneath the deck, and I use a torque wrench set at 75 FTLBs, and while holding the boxwrench on the bolthead I torque the nut.
You can download an operators manual for your Scag Turf Tiger at scag.com then click on manuals. Look for the machine serial number and write it down as you will need it to find the correct manuals.
Going to clean my Scag today, install new blades, and put it in storage. Already did oil changes, filter changes and lube. I had to replace the hourmeter as it was getting irratic. Scag has changed their hourmeter having had numerous complaints about them being difficult to read.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
What's the easiest way to remove blades on turf tiger? I bought the SCAG tool. What is the torque spec as well. Thanks so much!

Tell us what the Scag tool is. I'm a retired mech so the tools that I use normally may not be in your tool inventory and maybe I/we can help you with more basic tooling suggestions. All Scag ZTs that I have dealt with have a long 5/8th" bolt that comes up thru the blade and a spacer and then up thru the spindle and held in place with a nut on the top. Most of these bolts are 9 1/2" long but may vary in length between models.

cassstl

Forum Newbie
Threads
The scag too is the Scag Blade Removal too. It Holds the blades from spinning while loosing the bolt. It was like $30 from dealer.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your machine has three blades and only the one near the discharge is easy to put a blade holder onto. You will need to get under the deck to install the blade holder on the other two blades and let the blades turn until the tool rests against a curved baffle before you will be able to undo the nut.
As I have mentioned, I use an air impact wrench to back off the nuts, but I have a long combination wrench that I have cut the open end off from and I have a piece of pipe that I have welded onto the wrench to make it longer. This way I can hold onto the bolt head from under the deck and loosen or tighten the nuts from above. I have a long 200 FTLB torque wrench that I torque the nuts with and set at 75 FTLBs while holding the wrench out from under the deck but on the bolt heads.

essikr

Threads
I use an impact wrench with the machine jacked up. I reversed the long bolts and put the nuts on the bottom so it did not have to be raised as high. Is there any reason why this should not be done?

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
I pull mine up part way on the trailer ramp and use the impact. Nothing to it!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
an
Impact Air or Electric.. never any problem removing blades.... :smile:KennyV

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use an impact wrench with the machine jacked up. I reversed the long bolts and put the nuts on the bottom so it did not have to be raised as high. Is there any reason why this should not be done?

With the bolt threads down, the threads will get damaged and you will hang up on things while mowing that you normally would not snag. I don't recommend it!!!:thumbdown: