Water in the carb

keychange

Threads
Hi

I have a 10 year old MF ride-on with a Kohler 14 hp engine and it is in good condition and given me many tears of trouble free service - well actually my wife uses it :thumbsup:

However this summer (Australia) it is erratically cutting out due to water in the carbie - normally 10 minutes into the cut. I drain the carbie and away it goes usually completes the job with no problems. I have tried adding Methylated Spirits and tried Acetone.

Eventually I removed the plastic fuel tank, dried it completely, flushed the fuel line, replaced fuel filter, cleaned carbie and replace with new fresh fuel..... it ran fine last week (2 hours) but today 10 minutes it has happened again.

If I am careful removing the bowl you can see the water globules - any ideas where it is coming from and how to solve

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't assume the the gas that comes out of the pump is pristine. I have had the same problem you have and quite often the water has accumulated in the underground tanks at the gas station and it's usually accompanied buy rust and other foreign matter.
Next time you get gas shake the tank that you use to tranport and pour a liter or so into a clear container. See how it looks. You might be surprised to see all kinds of crap in the gas.
Oh and by the way, you might not be so lucky next time and have to replace that carb. you should find a way to filter the gas before it goes into the tank and install a replaceable filter between the tank and the carb.

keychange

Threads
Thanks Robert

I do have an inline filter between tank and carb and yes I realise fuel can be contaminated.

What surprises me is I have 2 old trials motor bikes, 2 chain saws, 2 honda pumps a brush cutter and a 4 stroke generator a two stroke push mower and the ride on and this problem is only manifesting itself in the ride on. They all use the same fuel out of the same jerry cans :rolleyes:

Is the carb on the Kohler more susceptible to water?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It would be more likely that your rider has the fuel outlet from the fuel tank right on the bottom of the tank, & any water that might get in there will go directly to the carb...

If you have a problem with water contamination in your fuel cans... try one of these water separating funnels, they are a simple system that will remove water... Home

A regular filter in line will not take out water... :smile:KennyV

Giles

Threads
My first suspect is condensation. I have no idea how your tractor is constructed, but a long metal fuel line could be part of your problem. If this is the case, I would replace the metal fuel line with rubber. If this is not the case, I would install a glass "sediment bowl" type filter.
Also, and maybe most important, is that if this machine is stored outside, that could very well be your problem. I never leave my machines outside unprotected.:thumbsup: That can cause many unusual problems not to mention frozen linkages, and rusted components.:thumbdown:

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Check your donor can for filling the tank . If it is plastic . Carefully lift up to a bright light or sun . Water is heavier than fuel . U might see fuel floating on top of 1/4 inch of water .
When you pour the fuel into the tractor the water goes in first due to weight .
Fuel cans should be stores in shade area . There is a rain shower each day inside the can if the can sits in the sun and heats up . When it cools the water drop , drop into the gasoline .

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Robert

I do have an inline filter between tank and carb and yes I realise fuel can be contaminated.

What surprises me is I have 2 old trials motor bikes, 2 chain saws, 2 honda pumps a brush cutter and a 4 stroke generator a two stroke push mower and the ride on and this problem is only manifesting itself in the ride on. They all use the same fuel out of the same jerry cans :rolleyes:

Is the carb on the Kohler more susceptible to water?
ya got me! I sure don't know how you mower is getting water in the carb. But a tank is a tank and a carb is carb and neither generates water. Water can get in from the air in small quantities (condensation) but you have to contain a fairly large quantity of moist air and then you need a temperature change.
The only other place water can come from is through the tank fill opening, and if your not pouring water in with your gas then it's getting in at another time as the fuel system from there to the combustion chamber is closed..... RIGHT?
Are you parking your mower under a roof leak?
Dunno what else it could be?
If you plumb a fuel filter at the lowest point between the tank and the carb the water will settle there and not in the car because last time I checked water is heavier than gas and it don't flow up hill.
Best of luck, and be sure to let us know how you fixed this dilemma:wink: