leaking gas

cj9113

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a riding mower and when I put gas in it, It leaks all out of the air filter. what is wrong and what can I do to fix it????

Deerebeer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like the needle is stuck open in the fload bowel of the carburator. You will have to remove the fuel bowel on the carb. and check the needle to see if it is stuck open. If you are not familuar with the carb then I would let a qualified tech look at it.

Last edited:

cj9113

Forum Newbie
Threads
if the needle is stuck how do i fit it???

Walt 2002

Threads
if the needle is stuck how do i fit it???

Probably getting small speck of dirt under needle holding it from closing. I would remove bowl, clean, clean needle and examine IF it has noticeable worn area, replace it $4 or less, use Q-tip in needle seat and most importantly, buy an inline gas shut off valve and use it whenever the engine is not running.

Walt Conner

Usedtorent

Threads
Oh no... those are great tips to get the needle unstuck. I would start there. I would make sure to clean out the gas tank. If it still leaks you could have a hole somewhere on it. You might need to replace the gas tank.

henry

Threads
Hopefully it is a quick fix! There is something I have never liked about having to replace a gas tank. Still it is better to be safe than it is sorry!

noma

Threads
henry

Also could be a pin hole in the float and it fills up with fuel and sinks so then it will not float and shut off the gas when the bowl is filled up. Just take it and raddle it and see if you hear any thing slushing back and fourth in it. If that does not work then dunk it in a small can of gas and see it gas so inside of the float.

Michael

Threads
I have a riding mower and when I put gas in it, It leaks all out of the air filter. what is wrong and what can I do to fix it????

If you could be a little more informitive as to what have for an engine, I could be more helpful, it's like, "my red car stalled" well hello!!!! Please Please Please, to all, let us know what you are talking about, I have 230 trouble shooting manuals, but without a mod & ser # from the engine or unit I cannot help. I retired 3 years ago at 49, then realized I had nothing to retire to, so, I took the small engine repair course, I don't charge much, somtimes its the challenge, & somtimes its the interaction with customers, & then I come here to try & help, one more thing, don't grow old alone, take my word on that!!!!
Michael

twocycletim

Threads
I had this happen to me with a zama carb on a homelite trimmer, I cleaned the carb twice and it still puked gas from the carb intake, on examining the needle valve I found that there was material missing from the tip, replacing the valve solved thw problem.:thumbsup: