Talking about the important stuff-transmissions

robert

Threads
Its no secret that I think the Cub GT2000 is by far, hands down the best value on the market for lawn/garden tractors and I thought the best way to illustrate this is by doing some research on the important stuff in any mower.

So to start I selected the transmission and as a basis of comparison I opted to compare the Cub to what some view as the gold standard in the lawn and garden tractor segment the mighty John Deere.
To be clear, JD produces a fine product, but until you get into, well into the select series line one is getting only exceptional value in the fit/finish dept.

Not until one gets into the X700 series with the Kansaki TuffTorque K92 does the a Deere owner get anywhere near the drive of the Cub GT2000, and the cost of membership in this club is about three times that of the Cub Club.

I am not making a direct comparison to the K92 and the BDU10 because the Tuff Torque, on paper, bests the Hydro Gear in weight on axle BUT until the 700 the hapless Deere owner gets a very sub standard drive compared to the Cub and only until the upper X500 series will one even get a 'serviceable' drive and even then the K66's filter is internal AND the unit has alot less fluid AND its cast aluminum rather than cast iron AND AND you will pay roughly twice the cost of the Cub 2000.

All the X300 series use an vastly inferior, compared to Cub, drive with no filter at all and about 1/3 the amount of juice and with a mere 600 or so lbs max axle weight rating-but hey at least you have the green machine.....

So as we can all agree that transmission/drive choice is one very important indicator of overall quality and longevity I believe that the win in this first category goes clearly to the Cub Cadet GT 2000 Crossover tractor.

Up next; engines and why Kawasaki certainly was once the best but sadly now, except in very specific pieces of equipment there are far better choices.

jenkinsph

Threads
Robert,

Glad you are so happy with your riding lawn mower.

I suspect the transmission in your CC2000 is better than the lower priced Deere offerings D100 series through the x300. Can't speak about the new x310 because I don't know the info yet. Your transmission has quite a bit more torque than the k46 does, on the order of about 50 to 60 ft lbs better and that is very good.

The x320 and up to the x360 riding lawn mowers in the Deere line use the k58 transmissions which will produce more torque than yours by about 15%. This is based on the BDU 10S, if you have the BDU 10L then they are very comparable.

I looked carefully online at your CC2000GT and couldn't see where it is capable of using for anything other than mowing. Looks comparable to an x320 Deere riding lawn tractor and available at a good price too.

Disclaimer: Lots of guessing here with very little factual specifications to compare between these two transmission manufacturers. Most specifications were not a direct crossover so some interpolating was required. Facts are hard to come by , opinions are plentiful.

Comparing your Cub Cadet 2000GT to a Deere x700 series is simply laughable.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Comparing your Cub Cadet 2000GT to a Deere x700 series is simply laughable.

You are correct...
But robert is going to rant on, just for argument sake... good luck trying to respond to him, most have quit trying ... :smile:KennyV

jenkinsph

Threads
You are correct...
But robert is going to rant on, just for argument sake... good luck trying to respond to him, most have quit trying ... :smile:KennyV

Yeah we are having a snow day today, snowed yesterday and last night, I am staying off the roads today. Tomorrow is another work day though.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm sure it's a great post Robert.....unfortunetly, about halfway through the second paragraph my brain freezes up and I become mentally paralyzed.
I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with the content. :mur::mur:

robert

Threads
Boys, the facts are the facts, not until the upper model 500 series does the green owner get a drive that has a filter, yes its an internal filter but at least a replaceable filter is there, and yes it only has about 1/3 fluid of the Cub 2000 but that makes no difference in operating temps or longevity right?

And not until into the 700 series, does one get a drive with an external filter and huge fluid capacity, wonder why Deere uses this type of drive on that series :anyone:

jenkinsph, what is laughable is trying to compare the ultra entry level drive Deere uses in 80% of their select series to the heavy duty drive Cub uses in 100% of their 2000 series- for always less money and most of the time for an awful lot less money than JD.

Yes of course the Deere provides features the Cub does not, but remember the topic at hand.

jenkinsph

Threads
Robert,
All my trucks are automatic including two ford 550s' and all of these have internal filters, no need for a spin on filter.

Facts, good point bring some.

Gotta go to work using my worthless Deeres.

You think a spin on filter is important for a garden tractor, I think having a three point hitch is more relavant, so is four wheel drive. While you may have a nice riding mower it is worthless as a garden tractor.

Last edited:

possum

Threads
I would sure be interested in the Kawi engine report and the better ones available.

robert

Threads
jenkinsph, lets go MOWER model by model, one at a time;

X360, $5,200 usd, Tuff Torque K58, sealed, 2.6 qts fluid, max weight on axles, 617lbs

Advantage Cub GT2000 for roughly $1,800 usd LESS :biggrin:

jenkinsph

Threads
Robert,
Your CC2000 GT doesn't have the refinements of an x360 more inline with an x320 less the better Kawasaki motor.