Murray wide body hydrostatic transmission

Threads
Every time I accelerate I here this grinding noise, and I can feel it in the peddle. I have a 18.5 hp murray I think it's like a 96 or something. Has any one else had this problem? And if so what do I do? Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here are somethings that I thought of, could be a belt problem with a bad spot in the belt, or a idler pulley with a bad bearings, or one of the piston return springs is broke in the pump causing the pieces to score the center section and will lead to complete failure shortly.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
also....the brakes can stick causing a nasty grind noise with forward resistence

clem703

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a murray with a peerless 205-024b transaxle and problem is that oil is coming out the bellow cover plate hole. Does this means that the bellow is no good and needs to be replace or is there something else is going on ?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
leaks are really bad on hydros..if you loose too much you'll have to purge the system
heres some info Murray Peerless 205-024C Transaxle Issues
i always use Rotella T6 5-40 synthetic in my Hydros and they work better than ever....

nhyrum

Threads
hydrostatic transmissions are interesting beasts. the only ones ive messed with or worked on were in tractors. you REALLY can't go slamming the throttle around, it sends massive pressure waves around. but, at least on the tractors ive worked on, a moan/grind, but more of a moan is a pretty common noise. and as stated leaks are bad in general, and worse in a hydro.

they generally have a few pistons that move with the speed advancement, so that could be a cause of the noise.

hydros are one of the things I take to professionals.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I got a murray with a peerless 205-024b transaxle and problem is that oil is coming out the bellow cover plate hole. Does this means that the bellow is no good and needs to be replace or is there something else is going on ?

Yep the bellows will eventualy crack and then leak.
Easy job as it sits at the back where it is easily accessed.
Before you start, you need to clean the area well enough to eat off.
A very small amount of dust in the system will kill it in no time flat.