14.5 HP Briggs won't stay running.

t.crawford714

Threads
Ok so I've been lurking and now I need help. I have a fairly new Poulan Pro with a 14.5 Briggs in it. It doesn't stay running after we stop spraying starting fluid. It'll run forever on starting fluid (if it was cheaper I'd just run that instead of gas :laughing:) I've never really worked on carbs before so I'll end up with more questions but the carb is clean, it's got plenty of gas in the bowl. Why won't it stay running but won't run on gas? Could the spark plug not be burning hot enough? I just need suggestions and I can check. Thanks in advance.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
There is no doubt in my mind you have a clogged carburettor.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Stuck needle valve under the float

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Stuck needle valve wouldn't be a dirt thing, They have a rubber style tip and with the new style gas they stick into the needle seat. Time for a new needle valve because it will just keep on happening.

t.crawford714

Threads
I did pull the Carb off. It is spotless on the inside. No gunk. How do I check to see if it us a stuck needle? What do I do if it is stuck?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I did pull the Carb off. It is spotless on the inside. No gunk. How do I check to see if it us a stuck needle? What do I do if it is stuck?
I see what you mean.

Have you checked your fuel filter ? It may be clogged with old fuel if it has been there for a while.

That, or a stuck needle.

sss

Threads
Is your fuel pump getting enugh fuel through to the carb?