John deer LT 160-Kohler CV460S-26516/ Lost power

MDJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tractor has been running perfectly. Was doing leaves and cutting grass and suddenly it started to loose power but then came back on then it happened again so I turned it off. Checked everything seemed fine. Oil was low put more in and went to start it it cranked but would not start, after turning off, it backfired. So I put it back in shed for a couple days . Went to start it it started but a lot of blue smoke came out and it sputtered a bit so instead of letting it run or get the sputter out I moved the speed lever to a crawl and shut it off guess I was in fear of a backfire. So Should I try to start it again ? And why did it suddenly lose power? Seat switch or what or low oil. If it was the seat switch it would not start at all right? Coil was replaced 3 years ago. Fuel filter has some gas in it? Is there anybody who makes house calls in Connecticut. May be an easy fix bringing in to these dealers etc is so expensive and just getting it picked up is a fortune. Plumbers can come with a truck why cant lawn repair guys??

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
It doesn't sound good I'm afraid.

Power loss, low oil, blue smoke, backfiring... That tells me one thing - Piston Rings!

It sounds like your Piston Rings have worn down for some reason, and that is causing the following:

Power Loss = Lack of compression in the combustion chamber
Low Oil = Oil getting into combustion chamber and being burnt
Blue Smoke = Burning oil
Backfiring = Engine struggling to burn the oily fuel mixture

You should get a compression test done, and see how that comes out.

If the compression is low, then I suspect that I am right with the Piston Rings scenario.

MDJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is that a big fix? Its an automatic tractor if that helps. Should I try to start it again. Bought it in 2004 has worked flawlessly?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Is that a big fix? Its an automatic tractor if that helps. Should I try to start it again. Bought it in 2004 has worked flawlessly?
If it is Piston Ring wear, then you will need to get the engine rebuilt, and new Piston Rings fitted. If you can do it yourself, it isn't that expensive at all, but to get a professional to do it would be costly because of the time needed to do the work.

Starting it again won't damage it any further, as long as you have enough oil.

You never know, I may be wrong, and if you give it a rev up for a while it may mysteriously sort itself out, I've seen that happen before.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sheared flywheel key?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My vote would be the flywheel key, seeing you had the coil replaced.

MDJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Where is that located? Under the flywheel.?? Is it hard to fix?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
MDJ,
There really should be a proper diagnosis performed on your JD. I'm a retired mechanic, usually very busy, but if you are not far from me maybe I could swing by and checkout your machine. I'm in Oakdale,CT. Oakdale is part of Montville. I do service calls for about 15 larger operators including several cemeterys in addition to doing lawn care for some folk and churches.
Mad Mackie in CT

MDJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in Bethel Ct near Danbury. I have a feeling you are to far away not sure where montville is.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm in Bethel Ct near Danbury. I have a feeling you are to far away not sure where montville is.
I'm in southeastern CT, Danbury is to long of a haul with the truck at 10 MPG and 7 MPG with either trailer.
I mow, do odd jobs, some equipment servicing, on call to about 15 customers with larger machines including several cemeterys. Unless I'm on a machine, I'm just a mobile call away. Just finished a bunch of generators and this started during the hurricane.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing: