Honda mower difficult to start

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Amen!

I'm not saying $16 isn't a good deal, and I would go for it (if I didn't live in Scotland!) it I needed to, but if the carburettor was simply dirty, I'd clean it rather than replace it.

Sometimes cleaning it doesnt always work.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
there is different carburetor cleaning job. Dirt in gas and plugs high speed jet, quick blow out dirt job and run fine afterwords. Don't forget to repair the dirt problim. The other one is mower sat around for years with gas and water in carburetor. The carburetor is full of rust and varnish. That is where you have to let the carburetor set of days in cleaner and all the jets and small holes are plugged. This is the job where you have to take it apart more then once to get the engine running right. By all means this is new carburetor time at any price, that is if you can find one. Had this problem with a Honda Spree a while back they don't make replacement parts for this bike anymore.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
there is different carburetor cleaning job. Dirt in gas and plugs high speed jet, quick blow out dirt job and run fine afterwords. Don't forget to repair the dirt problim. The other one is mower sat around for years with gas and water in carburetor. The carburetor is full of rust and varnish. That is where you have to let the carburetor set of days in cleaner and all the jets and small holes are plugged. This is the job where you have to take it apart more then once to get the engine running right. By all means this is new carburetor time at any price, that is if you can find one. Had this problem with a Honda Spree a while back they don't make replacement parts for this bike anymore.

I been running into that alot when repairing used equipment to resell.

Dusty4mile

Forum Newbie
Threads
Took the advice to clean the automatic choke linkage. Problem was that the spring-return lever was very stiff. I used brake parts cleaner sprayed onto the swivel point between the black plastic body and the metal lever. Exercised it a few times and continued to apply cleaner till it worked freely. Oiled with light machine oil.
When you take the carburetor off, don't pull the bolts free. That way all the parts will stay aligned. Only the motor-to-choke gasket and, of course, the black plastic choke body need to be separated from the carburetor. The gasket goes back on with the square corner down and towards the front of the mower. Mower started on 3rd pull after it would not start after about 15 pulls before.