Hills and mowers

Bethieboo

Threads
At the front of our property is a steep hill that can be very difficult to mow. Some days I just use the gas trimmer to cut it. What are other ways to trim the grass on steep hills?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Depends on how steep it is... BKBrown has a VENTRAC mower that will work on very steep ground...:thumbsup: there are some (expensive) hill side mowers built to do that type work... How big an area and how steep I guess is the question. :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
At the front of our property is a steep hill that can be very difficult to mow. Some days I just use the gas trimmer to cut it. What are other ways to trim the grass on steep hills?

The first thing I would ask is how much property are we talking about? My guess is you are talking about using a gas trimmer so apparently were not talking about that much property, so I wouldn't go out and spend a lot of money on specialty mowers. The next thing I would ask is how are you attempting to mow the steep hill with your mower, are you mowing perpendicular or not because it will make a big difference with how your Honda will function. If you have more property than the Honda will handle you mite consider stepping up to a good Gear Driven Walk-Behind Mower and you can purchase them with a 32" to 61" mower deck. I mow a dozen or so property's with steep slopes and that's what I use and it works very well and they have an excellent cut.

Usedtorent

Threads
Why not push mow it? That is what I would do. I don't trust myself or my mower on steep hills. I prefer to push them. It's a tough job but at least I feel safe. :biggrin:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Maybe one of those robotic mowers? But they will not cut worth a darn when the grass is too high. Another solution...kill all the grass and replant with ground cover.

jacko

Threads
Last week a guy who lives near me lost 2 toes while mowing a hill with his push behind when it was slick. He shouldn't have mowed a hill with slick glass but I guess he learned the hard way.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depends on how steep it is... BKBrown has a VENTRAC mower that will work on very steep ground...:thumbsup: there are some (expensive) hill side mowers built to do that type work... How big an area and how steep I guess is the question. :smile:KennyV

Thanks Kenny!

The Ventrac is good for steep grades AND will take quite a few attachments.

Ventrac Compact Tractors & Attachments also an American Company Ventracs are made in USA

Bethieboo

Threads
It is not a large area and I do it with a push mower. I wish I knew how to measure the grade but I know it is a lot. The problem is that it is a very visible part. I was thinking about ripping all the grass out and putting in ivy.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The problem is that it is a very visible part. I was thinking about ripping all the grass out and putting in ivy.

You could always plant something like Sedum... very hardy most types only grow to 4 inches high, lots of color to choose from.... never needs mowed.
Sedum Photos
:smile:KennyV

outdoors Joe

Threads
Sedum would look good and if you like, you could plant other flowers with it. Not only would you have a beautiful hillside, but you wouldn't have to take a chance on getting hurt mowing it.