Mower into Generator

dria

Threads
I have heard that turning a lawnmower in to a generator is the easiest way to make your own generator. Does anyone have any experience with this?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have heard that turning a lawnmower in to a generator is the easiest way to make your own generator. Does anyone have any experience with this?

You can make a small generator using a small engine...

It just depends on what type electricity, AC or DC and how much for what length of time you will need it...
If you are looking for clean AC to run any type of electronic equipment or something big enough to run a electric motor you may have problems with a build it yourself gen...KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never thought of doing this...have never seen a genset that ran off a vertical crankshaft nor one that was compact enough to suspend beneath a push mower deck. My Northern Hydraulics catalog lists a $200, 3000 watt generator head, it requires 5.5 or more hp to power. But you know, the idea of having a small compact generator powered by an engine you have makes a lot of sense.

Bethieboo

Threads
If you got really good at building your own generators then you would have a business right there. Especially if you could do it and sell it cheaper then other generators.

noodle

Threads
I wish there were quieter generators. I have known people who run them all night long if the power goes out and drives all the neighbors nuts.

Tillie

Threads
Sounds like I might be able to get a pretty decent size generator for my mower with 12.5 hp. Might jump online and get the specs to see if I can change it over.

noodle

Threads
Might be worth it for you. After you look in to it let us know what you find out about it and if you are going to change your mower in to a generator!

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wish there were quieter generators. I have known people who run them all night long if the power goes out and drives all the neighbors nuts.

Honda makes a very quiet generator, They're very expensive but of good quality and might be worth it if noise is a priority. They last a long time too.