Repairs Engine Problems!

TimJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction...

I was out in the yard over the weekend using the mower to cut up some of the leaves that had fallen - I was not using any mulching attachments, just going over the small piles. Well I ran into one that was a little bigger than I probably should have tackled.

Moving forward, I could hear the engine slowing down as it mulched through the leaves.... then, it made sort of a "clunk" noise and just stopped. Tried turning the engine over again but could feel no compression. Rolled it back into the garage and left it overnight. Came out in the morning and all the oil in the engine was sitting on my garage floor.

The fluids have all been changed regularly, motor was rebuilt about 3 months ago, everything worked fine until I ran over a big pile of leaves (which you wouldn't think would be a problem). Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated - not sure what I need to do to get the engine back in working order.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like something let go in the engine and might have pushed through the engine wall. Check to see where the oil leaked from, you might see a hole in your engine. Doesn't sound like a good out come.:frown:

Mower manic

Threads
Sounds bad...catastrophic perhaps.
You just had it rebuilt eh? Did you get a warranty? Tell me you got a warranty!
What exactly do you have there? What is the manufacturer, model, horsepower, purchase price, and age?
How old is the rebuild?
Are you sure it was motor oil on the floor?
Do as bakerg notes and post back with all of the info.

TimJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I bought the mower from the people I just bought my house from... so unfortunately, no warranty. Its a John Deere D100 - 17.5 HP.

Not sure of the purchase price as it was used - I believe the previous owner mentioned he bought it in 2005. I didn't rebuild the engine myself, the previous owner said that he had it done in June or July - so not that old.

I'm not 100% positive its motor oil on the floor, but its very dark and appears to be.

From researching and hearing what you guys have said so far, I think I need to open the engine up and see whats happening. I just spoke to our shop mechanic who mentioned it definitely sounded like internal engine damage.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Ouch, sounds like you may have blown a con rod bearing...

Looks like you'll need another rebuild, or a new engine.

To find out what the problem really is though, you would have to open the engine up and see what is happening in there.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should not have to 'open' anything to see Where the oil is coming from...
You may have to remove the deck & look under the engine and trans axle... :smile:KennyV

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
You may have to remove the deck & look under the engine and trans axle... :smile:KennyV
No you shouldn't, but what I said is that you may have to take the engine apart to see what the real problem is.

Sammy the Red

Threads
I don't think that the John Deere D100's are that old.
Read where they may have first come out last year ? Anyone know for sure ?

MSRP was $1,499.00 at Home Cheapo.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
No you shouldn't, but what I said is that you may have to take the engine apart to see what the real problem is.

Yes ... I saw that.... BUT if I wanted to emphasize a part of my comment, it would have been...:

Because the oil he is seeing 'could' be coming from the trans axle......
& if it's from the engine, can be the main seal... No need to 'open' the engine to replace it.
Always easiest to look first, take apart last.... :smile:KennyV