Repairs craftsman tractor

boston

Threads
I got a kholer 15 HP craftsman. A few weeks ago I drained it to put it away for the winter but I decided to take it back out. It wouldn't start. The starter worked but it wouldn't turn over. The pre filter was dirty so I cleaned it but that had nothing to do with it. Anyway after a while of trying it if started up perfectly and has been working since. I dont know if I did something or not but I was wondering if anyone knows what might have happened. Now I think that there was old gas left in the Carb and it had to pass through before getting to the fresh gas. If you know, please reply. This is the first winter I have had to store the tractor.

Duffer72

Threads
You say you drained it, what about the fuel tank and line, what did you do with them? did you run it dry?? gas a few weeks old won't cause any problems. Are you in an area that got the snow? where do you keep the rider if in a shed what is it made of?"

boston

Threads
I drained the fuel tank but I didn't run it clean. Right now I keep the tractor in my garage but before I kept it outside with a tarp over it. I will be getting snow soon in my area

Duffer72

Threads
Sounds to me that it just took a bit of cranking to get the fuel thru the fuel pump and carb and to get it going, sometimes when we serviced new machines to run for the first time they took a lot more time than you would think they would need. The reason I asked about where you keep it is I have seen people have similar problem when they keep mowers in metal sheds and it has rained heavily in the past few days, those sheds act as a green house and the humidity inside them is very high, it can cause the ignition or the plug to go to ground until it sits outside for a while and drys off then they start right up.

boston

Threads
Oh OK that makes sense. Thanks for your help. Would it be OK if I left it outside with a tarp over it?

Duffer72

Threads
if that is the best situation you have better than out in the open. where in joesy are you i'm from bergen cty

boston

Threads
Do you know of any ways to keep the tractor safe in the winter without a shed because the snow usually piles up on the tarp and water seeps down. The tractor gets soaking wet.

benski

Threads
Do you know of any ways to keep the tractor safe in the winter without a shed because the snow usually piles up on the tarp and water seeps down. The tractor gets soaking wet.

I usually take a large piece of plywood and lay it over the top. A tarp and some bungee cords completes the, uh, gift wrap.:ashamed:

boston

Threads
OK and should I take the battery out? The only things I would normally do is empty the gas tank and run it dry for the winter.