Snow plow questions

fastback

Threads
I'm looking for ideas on adding a snow plow to my MF. Here is my problem, I have a 4 ft bucket I wish to keep on the tractor at all times, that way I can move snow if and when necessary as the piles grow. I have an old snow plow and frame from when it was conneted to the 1942 JD, LA. I would like to mount the blade to the bucket and be able to remove it easily. I don't want it to extend out too far since I store the tractor in an old garage that is only 20 ft long and it will also affect the turning radius.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Paul

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Short of making or buying a Quick attach adapter for your loader... there is not going to be any clean and easy change outs that will not extend a long way out front...

I put a skid steer adapter on my Kubota tractor... change out is easy... for some front blade work, I will use my 4n1 bucket, and just pinch onto a 7 foot blade... the bite of the 4n1 holds it in place for about anything I could get it into... but that is the only easy capture method for quick mounting a blade to a bucket... :smile:KennyV

fastback

Threads
Kenny thanks for getting back. I don't think I know what a "Skid Steer Adaptor" is. I could make a Quick change adapter if I know what they look like. I haven't seen anything and I guess I'm having a senior moment or maybe a brain fart (can I say that?), anyway nothing seems to come to mind. I have the ability to fabicate just don't have any ideas:thumbdown: If you know of a site that has anything that I could get a visual please send it my way.

Thanks,

Paul

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I don't have a tractor with a bucket (darn it) or a need to plow snow, but I'm wondering if some sort of hooks on top of the plow with round stock (I'm thinking 2 inch thick walled pipe) welded to the top edge of the bucket might work. Leave the plow leaning up against a wall or post, tilt the bucket opening towards the ground, drive up to the plow, come under the hooks and rotate the bucket so the opening is horizontal. The weight would hold the bucket on. Reverse to drop the plow when you need the bucket.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I don't have a tractor with a bucket (darn it) or a need to plow snow, but I'm wondering if some sort of hooks on top of the plow with round stock (I'm thinking 2 inch thick walled pipe) welded to the top edge of the bucket might work. Leave the plow leaning up against a wall or post, tilt the bucket opening towards the ground, drive up to the plow, come under the hooks and rotate the bucket so the opening is horizontal. The weight would hold the bucket on. Reverse to drop the plow when you need the bucket.
If I've understood your post correctly, I think that would work.

fastback

Threads
Yes that has some potential or some variation of it. I fear that the weight may not be enough to keep the mount in place. Plowing is rough on the equipment. When you hit rocks or whatever the plow can jump. It could disconnect, but I'm not ruling it out. I'm also trying to come up with a way I can still get some angling of the plow.

Thanks for the input.

Paul

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...I'm also trying to come up with a way I can still get some angling of the plow.

Watch out angling a front mount blade ... It will put a lot of side stress on your loader arms... they do not have a lot of strength pushed to the side.
If you angel it you will want to go with a rigid mount to your tractor frame... :smile:KennyV

fastback

Threads
Kenny, your point is well taken. I definitely do not want to damage the tractor. Again I was hoping to be able to keep the bucket in place. My thinking is there is very little gain in having a plaow over a bucket if it can't be tilted. I guess I'll go back to the drawing board. I have an older Craftsman GT and also have the plow to go with it, maybe I'll try that machine on the smaller snow storms and see how it does. That way I'll still have access to the MF and its bucket.

Thanks again,

Paul