Toro Z4200 w/ Kohler Courage 19HP

olimazi

Forum Newbie
Threads
This past season my riding mower engine blew due to overheating - mouse nest in the blower housing.
(engine started, knocked, stopped hard, leaked oil)
The dealer wan'ts $900 to repair it - small block, piston, etc. He will keep the existing flywheel, carb, etc.
Is this a good deal?
I've read horror stories about the Kohler courage engine -I'm thinking maybe replace it with a B&S or something that's better built - not too familiar with what I can replace it with - or if it'll be more money that way.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

Re powering a mower is not very difficult... Are you personally going to do the work?
Or are you going to have a shop do it?
Most small engines are very similar and that is one reason, why you at times see the same mower with a 'choice' of engines...
If you are up to taking the needed measurements & able to do a little research, you can find other engines that will meet your requirements for an engine swap.. :smile:KennyV

olimazi

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've never worked on engines - so I'm hesitant on doing anything like an engine swap myself.
How difficult would this be and what kind of special tools would I need?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
As long as crankshaft is same size as other engine will bolt up to frame. May require some minor wiring changes if you change brand of engine, most are somewhat of a plug and play system nowadays. Also will require a different exhaust if engine is changed to a different brand. Pay close attention to the charging system if changing to another brand engine to make sure the electrical system is compatible, IE a 16 amp system will replace a 5 amp system but a 5 amp system will not have enough output for a lawnmower that requires 16 amp.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Rebuild it . The guys at my shop will run out of customer repairs and walk into the scrap machine pile - tow a machine into the lift and rebuild the motor & have it running in 2 hours .
Why spend $2500.00 for a new machine if the rest of your machine is ok .
They sell what they fix and pay for parts out of our stock .

olimazi

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking at purchasing a Kohler 18hp (SV540) to replace the blown 19hp (SV590). smallenginewarehouse has it for $550.
Looking at the service manuals, seems like the crankshaft is the same for the SV540 and the SV590 I have now.
Kohler Engines: Courage: Series Landing: Engines
So I would just drop the new engine in, bolt up and make the same electrical connections?
Or is it more involved than this.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
it should be just a plug and play swap. May have to move the muffler from old engine to new and you most likely have the six pin electrical connector so it should just hook up.

olimazi

Forum Newbie
Threads
I confirmed that the new engine I want to put in has the same crankshaft and bolt pattern as my existing mower - so it's just a matter of 'plug and play' like you said.
The connections I would have to make are:
fuel line
muffler
electrical
Did I miss anything?
I take it the muffler is not terribly difficult to disconnect/reconnect?
Thanks,
John

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Two to three bolts to remove muffler, may need a new exhaust gasket because sometimes they come apart when removed since a lot of them are the graphite/steel type nowadays.

crazyoldtractor

Threads
The electrical is where things may nt match up. Things to make sure to hook up: fuel solenoid, kill switch, starter solenoid and wires, stator connections, lights, volt meter, smart spark(if engine has it). I've found whenever I changed engines that were mounted on different brands of mowers, 9 times out of 10 the key switch and wiring harness were not the same and therefor did not work together. Make sure they are other wise you will have to do some custom wiring. And also does the mower have a gravity fed fuel system, or does it require a fuel pump. I have a wheel horse that I put a new gravity fed fuel engine on, but the original engine had a fuel pump. The gas tank was a rear mounted gas tank, not meant to be gravity fed. I ran into some problems there.