Echo CS450 Chain Saws won't start

Threads
I went to Home Depot and bought a New Echo CS450 Chain Saw with 18 inch bar that was on sale. They did not have any left in boxes so I took the display model.

It ran fine for about a week cutting down a few pine trees. then I let it sit for a few weeks in my basement. ( Warm & Dry)

Tried to start it and Nothing!

cleaned out the fuel strainer pickup and went to clen the Air filter and found out that the filter and the plastic knob/cover that holds it on was missing. I emailed Echo & Home depot and they told me too Bad. Told me I would have to buy a new filter at Home depot for $19, but they dont sell the plastic knob/cover. Pretty piss poor service from Echo.

replaced the spark plug and fresh gas & oil mix and Nothing.

still would not start.

well We had a big storm and I had trees hanging that were about to hit the house so I went and bought another Brand New Echo CS 450 at home depot. This one had a 20inch bar and cost a few bucks more.

I used it to cut the trees and left it suitting in my clean, dry basement for about a month and guess what.

IT WONT START!

They both have spark, I have tried spraying starting fluid into the carb and they still wont run.

What the hell is wrong with these saws?

I have has dozzens of saws in my life and never ran into these non start problems.

Capt@WickedGoodOUtdoors.com

Echo_CS-450.jpg

Last edited:

spitfire0450

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have the chain brake on correct? Sometimes I forget to put it on and it would prevent it from starting.

Threads
Why would you push the chain break on? it is simply a friction brake that is activated by the handle tripping a spring that locks the chain from moving.

It has noting to do with the engine operation.

In fact I have started chainsaws without the Bar or Chain on them to do maintaince like adjusting carbs. Its safer that way.

Never needed to put the break on before?

That would be an awful inconvienance and a pretty bad design if you had to do that.

The Fast Idel Button lock has been removed on the new Echo chain saws.

Most likley some Liability issues.
something like the "Saftey Switch " under the seat of my HusquaVana lawntractor that shuts off the engine when you get off the seat.

Its a Pain in the ***. as Im on/off 100 times every time Im mowing, picking up tree branchs, do toys et. I tow a little wagon behind the tractor that gets filled at least once or twiice every mow.

Need to jumper that switch out.

Last edited:

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Chain brake & folks forget the fast idle run button for starting .

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Maybe while the saws were left, the fuel gummed up inside the carburettors, as little 2-stroke carburettors are more prone to clogging than bigger 4-stroke ones.

EmerichSales

Threads
You can't buy a better Saw than an Echo !!! Doesn't make any Sense!

Get the Next One from a Local Dealer !! They are Normally LESS Money than a Box Store, Plus they Test Run it for you to make sure it's ready to go.

Always Use 89 or above Octane Fuel with Echo Oil.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
You can't buy a better Saw than an Echo !!! Doesn't make any Sense!

Get the Next One from a Local Dealer !! They are Normally LESS Money than a Box Store, Plus they Test Run it for you to make sure it's ready to go.

Always Use 89 or above Octane Fuel with Echo Oil.
That wouldn't make any difference, as it ran to begin with anyway, it was after some use it broke down.

Threads
Maybe while the saws were left, the fuel gummed up inside the carburettors, as little 2-stroke carburettors are more prone to clogging than bigger 4-stroke ones.

Saws only sat in a warm dry basement for a week or two..

Fuel should not have gummed up in that short of time.

Anybody run AvGas or model Airplane fuel? Maybe that would give it a kick.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gasoline with 10% ethanol can go bad is a short time as quickly as three weeks. For years, even before ethanol, I have used fuel conditioner in all my small engines. Now with ethanol, the fuel conditioner doesn't keep the fuel good for extended periods of time. I have friends in the power equipment business and most of them recommend SeaFoam and I have started using it and I'm satisfied with the results. However I still drain and run dry my equipment that may be stored for extended periods, particularly the small two strokes.
Several local power equipment dealers sell ethanol free 94 octane gasoline in 5 gallon containers and I may buy some in the spring but at $75 for five gallons, WOW, and it probably will be more next spring!!!!!
I store my equipment in a cargo trailer and the daily internal temp cycle is brutal to equipment with fuel in their tanks, but there isn't much that I can do about it. I use 91 octane in my two strokes.
To the person with the problematic Echo saws, the container that you are using to fuel your saws may already have a problem. If the container has any odor that resembles varnish then it needs to be cleaned. Try some SeaFoam, it is available at many autoparts stores and Tractor Supply Co in my area. I use internal engine cleaner to clean fuel storage containers and dissassembled carbs, water wash and blow dry.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

EmerichSales

Threads
Try dumping the Fuel Out. Get some Fresh 89 or better octane fuel with ECHO OIL. Push that primer about 30 times. The primmer just brings the fresh fuel to the carb and flushes some old fuel back to the tank. Then Try to start it again.

We have been told by some of the manufactures that Ethanol fuel has gone bad in as little as a 2 to 3weeks, BUT if you are using ECHO Oil (Which has Stabilizers in it) You should be OK in Storage for a month.