New Mower for 3.88 acres in iowa

tippedframe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've pretty much settled on a lawn tractor for land/vacation home we purchased in Iowa. I'm going to go with a 26+ horsepower but I am not sure about the deck. I am worried if I get a deck that is too big, the cut will not be as nice because of the uneven terrain. I attached pics of the property. I'm either going to get a mower with a 46" deck or a 54" deck. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 28
  • back.JPG
    back.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 26

Mower manic

Threads
I've pretty much settled on a lawn tractor for land/vacation home we purchased in Iowa. I'm going to go with a 26+ horsepower but I am not sure about the deck. I am worried if I get a deck that is too big, the cut will not be as nice because of the uneven terrain. I attached pics of the property. I'm either going to get a mower with a 46" deck or a 54" deck. Thoughts?
What's the budget?
I could see where you could make good use of a fairly expensive mower....say over 6k. Does that sound like a lot to you?

Parkmower

Threads
I'd go bigger deck. 54". You have alot of grass there

tippedframe

Forum Newbie
Threads
What's the budget?
I could see where you could make good use of a fairly expensive mower....say over 6k. Does that sound like a lot to you?

Yes, that is rediculous. I'm not willing to spend even close to that much. I was thinking less than 3k.

LandN

Threads

thoughts? thats a lot of grass to cut, not to mention the string trimming time. Being that this is a vacation home, i'm assuming that you're not going to be here like a full time residence and just part time . then, i would get the largest mower you can afford, new or used, so you don't spend all your time working in the yard(unless of course you want to).don't forget to figure in the cost of attachments for the tractor for doing chores....enjoy your new place:smile:

Sammy the Red

Threads
Look for a good quality used mower.

jenkinsph

Threads
Look for a good quality used mower.

I agree with Sammy, you aren't going to find a new machine for less than $3k that will hold up to that much mowing. I think you could use a 60" deck cutting the grass about 3 inches high. I would look for a 425-455 Deere.