Loss of power

Bacon8r

Threads
Hey everyone, I have a friend who mentioned that he has noticed a loss of power in his mower. What are some common problems that result in a loss of cutting power for a self propelled mower? If I have a pretty good idea of possible problems, then I could easily fix it. The mower is not that old, and has been maintained pretty well by this guy, but there is still a loss of power. Thanks for your help!

Bacon8r

Threads
I don't really know who makes it, this was just a comment from my friend, although the mower is on the cheeper side, and it's maybe 2-3 years old.

sss

Threads
Los off power can be caused by a build up of carbon in the exhaust check that :smile:

Bacon8r

Threads
Yea I was thinking it was maybe the spark arrestor screen, or muffler. Could it be anything else? Also what are some commonly overlooked tune up matinence?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yea I was thinking it was maybe the spark arrestor screen, or muffler. Could it be anything else? Also what are some commonly overlooked tune up matinence?

I would guess you might be talking about the spark plug and filters that would be a cheap start. My self would be thinking valve adjustment and then maybe carbon build up. I have found with a pluged muffler you get no high speed.

Bacon8r

Threads
I'm not too familiar with the valve adjustment.... Can a guy do it or do you have to bring it to a mechanic?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make, model and age would help. :smile:

Over head valves not a bad job, put piston TDC., Compression stroke, piston at top , remove valve cover, you will see a adjustment on rocker arms, .006 to .008 intake valve clearance between valve stem and rocket arm and .010 to .012 for exhaust. If you have a flat head it is a bit more work because you need to remove the head and valves and then grind the valve stems down to get your clearance. Best to know what you have like Sammy said. Before you get into that try the easyer and cheaper things frist, New spark plug and all new filters, gas and air, and oil change things your mower can use anyways. Start small and then go into bigger things.