Mower Winter Storage

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Do you keep your mower filled with fuel over winter and start it up every now and then to keep it going, or run it out of fuel and leave it sitting ?

EDIT - Oh spark plug! I clicked post without adding a poll...

Could Muhammad or Briana please delete this thread and I'll create another one with poll!

Thanks.

earthworm

Threads
I do as little as possible...lol
Did you hear about the man who "winterized" his mower buy pulling the plug, fogging the engine with oil and keeping the plug "safe" in his workshop..
The next spring, having spent 3 days relocating the plug, he wondered why the engine could not be restarted.
Turns out a mouse had crawled inside the combustion chamber and made a little nest !
I may try a special blade and use the mower during the winter for snow-moving....an inch at a time...

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I always add stabilizer to my mower gas so I do not bother to drain the tank or run it empty. I do change the oil and then run the mower for a few minutes to splash the clean oil on everything, then I spray fogging oil into the carb until the engine stalls. Walk away and at some point visit my dealer for my new blade and to purchase a "tune up kit" with the right spark plug and air filter to install before the spring start up.

honestblades

Threads
I leave my fuel in the mower,and start it up atleast 2 times a week and let it run for 10 minutes,and make a few passes around the yard to keep the fluids moving. Draining your fuel out is a bad idea in my opinion. You can drain all of the fuel,but the fact of the matter is that the ethanol that is in gas these days will still plug up a carb alot sooner than you think. It's impossible to get every drop of fuel out of the lines,the fuel pump,and the jets. Just start the mower up and let it run every week.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My mower holds over 5 gallons of gas so in the fall I run the gas tank low. I just turn the key off and store it inside with a tarp over it. In the spring before I use it. I fill the gas tank with fresh gas, change oil, replace all filters, install sharpen blades. grease all fittings, give it a good inspection and repair anything that doesn't look right.

fireman gus

Threads
Ours are kept fueled and ready to use. We start ours at least once a week and let run if it hasn't been used. In our area we usually have work that can be done all winter.

fastback

Threads
Well I ususally just park it and not do anything until spring. My tractors are stored indoors sometimes heated and sometimes not. Never had a problem.

Today, I worked in the barn and wanted additional room so I started two of my GT's and moved them outside and let them run for a while. Everything worked out well. Next month I'll start my spring prep and get them ready for the new season. This includes oil, filters, grease, spark plugs, fuel filter and air fileter, blade sharpening and wax.