Is it hard to resharpen a blade yourself?

Bethieboo

Threads
Is it hard to resharpen a blade yourself? I know my lawnmower blades are having some issues and I was going to replace it but someone suggested I just sharpened it. What sort of tools do you need to do that?

Attachments

• 2012-10-12_12-27-33_740.jpg
    2012-10-12_12-27-33_740.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 20

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is a good idea to have an extra set of blades to swap, that way you have sharp ones ready to go back on when you are under the deck taking the others off...
There is a thread started about sharpening blades. http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/back-yard/558-sharpening-blades.html:thumbsup:
Only real care is , Don't allow the steel to get to hot.
The biggest trick is getting them off, you have to get the deck high enough to get to them.
An impact wrench is easiest, either an electric, air or mechanical (hammer) will work... BUT you have to be high enough to get to them...
With an extra set you can also replace any that may be damaged, and still get back to mowing without having to round up a replacement right then...
One more thing about replacing blades... swap them left to right... If you have 2 or 3 under the deck move the one at the discharge all the way over to the opposite side, and move the others one step closer to the discharge... The reason is that the discharge side cuts the grass under it AND the grass from the other blade(s), so you can spread out the work by rotating their positions... Happy mowing, :smile:KennyV

Zeroturn

Threads
My hubby sharpens his own blades for almost everything (chainsaw, lawn mowers too). I don't think it's too hard, it's just time consuming. I'm sure it saves us a lot of money!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My hubby sharpens his own blades for almost everything (chainsaw, lawn mowers too). I don't think it's too hard, it's just time consuming. I'm sure it saves us a lot of money!

Jeez, I sharpen chainsaw blades, mower blades, chisels, tiller tines, axes, mauls, wedges, etc.

One of the best tools a novice can use for sharpening is what they call a Dremel tool, one of those handheld 30,000 rpm mini grinders. With an abrasive sanding drum installed they are great for small jobs...yesterday I did four rototiller tines (32 actual edges) in 15 minutes using only 8 of those mini sanding sleeves that slip over a rubber drum. Probably the safest method of sharpening you will find.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it hard to resharpen a blade yourself? I know my lawnmower blades are having some issues and I was going to replace it but someone suggested I just sharpened it. What sort of tools do you need to do that?

It's not hard to sharpen your mower blades, I sharpen all my blades with a Makita hand held grinder with a sanding disk and balance with the table top cone. Balancing is a must if you sharpen your own blades.

Last edited:

noodle

Threads
I have never tried to sharpen my own lawnmower blades but after reading this thread and the link to the other thread I think I am going to give it a try!

Robin

Threads
I'm reminded of my father because he sharpens every blade in the house. Sometimes I even wonder if he sharpens the blades of the ceiling fans.

I've not owned a mower before so I haven't tried sharpening the blades. Will it be alright for a new owner to sharpen the mower's blade?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Will it be alright for a new owner to sharpen the mower's blade?

I'm an old owner ... and I sharpen my blades. :biggrin: :smile:KennyV

jross

Threads
I use a hand held grinder to sharpen our blades. On fixed blades I just hang the blade on a finishing nail on the side of the shed and touch the heavy side with the grinder until the blade balances level. Meg-mo blades are another matter since it is recommended they stay on the wheel when sharpening, so I make sure I make the same number of passes with the grinder on each of the four blades. The Meg-mo wheel is heavy so a little out of balance is not noticable. In either case finishing with a wide flat file improves cutting. As KennyV said, do not burn the metal. If it turns blue, you are grinding too hard.

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I stated in my previous post it's not hard to sharpen your mower blades yourself but balancing your blades is a must and using the nail-in-the-wall method to try and balance a lawn mower blade is a myth and a waste of time because the balance readings are not consistent.
The nail-in-the-wall measure of balance is so inaccurate that it simply has no value in reducing blade vibration. Consistent accurate balance measure can only be obtained at the center of rotation i.e. in the center of the lawn mower blade mounting hole.