Repairs Riding Mower wont start again

red69viper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was able to start my mower on the first crank. I then had to turn it off so i could move something from behind the mower. I went back on it and it will not start. I am not sure of the model number but it has the Briggs 19.5 HP engine with the dual spark plugs.

When I turn the key it attempts to crank and gets loud, but the engine does not start. The battery is about a month old so that cannot be it. at first i thought it was out of gas since the gauge was on E but after filling it, the same thing happened. The motor is not spinning at all and is tough to turn by hand, but will turn with some elbow grease. I did notice that whether the seat is up or sat upon it does the same thing, so i didnt know if it was the safety engine kill or not (recently the seat has been sliding alot and i need to tighten it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

You have either a fuel problem Or an ignition problem...
Since you say your having seat problems, take care of that First... then check if you have spark... :smile:KennyV

Duffer72

Threads
Sounds to me like you have a starter gear jammed in the flywheel, should be a plastic cover held on with 2 1/4 : tex screws covering the top of the starter.

red69viper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the top casing off the motor and noticed that the gear pinion was worn down. The manual shows it as having triangular teeth. When i turn the ignition it engages but just spins and does not contact the flywheel. How the hell do i get the retaining ring off?
Also, with the seat issue. Is there an easy fix? Can i just bypass the safety and how do i do this?

Thanks

Duffer72

Threads
The seat switch is ok if you have the clutch/brake pedal locked in park position as you don't need to be in the seat then. yes it sounds like the gear is shot, the snap ring is a bit of a pain to get off but you want to release the pressure on it by pushing down on the piece against it and then get something small to pry it off the shaft like a pick or small screw driver. make sure when you put the new gear on that everything moves freely and you get a gear made of the same material as the original one.

Duffer72

Threads
To put that ring back on find a small socket that just fits over the shaft easily and use it with a soft hammer to push it back on, I'm sure others will have other ideas how to emove and install but that is how I have done it for years in the shop.

sss

Threads
My mower was having a similar promlem it was because the fuel cut of was broken floding the engine all the time making it extreamly hard to turn over this made the stater burn out i replaced the fuel cut of and drained the fuel in the engine and it has fired up first time since then.

red69viper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a way to get the pinion gear onto it's shaft without removing the flywheel? I can't budge that flywheel nut

Duffer72

Threads
Take the starter off the engine