Cub Cadet 18 Hp & 20 HP Kohler Magnun motor Runs to hot to touch

bruce0777

Threads
  • / Cub Cadet 18 Hp & 20 HP Kohler Magnun motor Runs to hot to touch
I have both the 18 and 20 HP kohler magnun all seems well but I worry about how hot they both seem to run. . The motor blower fans work great and the screen air duct down below is 100% free of debree. Seems as though even only after minutes of running the motor is to hot to even check the oil after being turned off. I know If a motor gets to hot it will not restart until it cools down. Both my motors restart instantly. I know and reailze these are air cooled and should run hot but is this normal to run that hot? Any help or thoughts would be more than welcome. On the 18 HP I took off the upper and side heat shields to see if that helped. Seemed to run slightly cooler. I've never liked the design of the upper heat shield that seems to trap in the heat from the very hot muffler. Bruce

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Bruce ...
Be careful removing the heat 'shields', they are actually there to direct air flow to cool the engine properly... ESPECIALLY the top ones, they insure the valves do not over heat :tongue:...
The best thing you can do for an air cooled engine is run an oil that can function WELL in high temperatures. That is exactally where a full synthetic is the best. I run Shell Rotella T6 5-40 in ALL my engines gasoline and diesel... but definitely in any air cooled engine. :smile:KennyV

busted bolts

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Bruce,
Your Magnum engines are cast iron blocks and are of an older technolgy. Most of your current engines are made of aluminum which disapates heat diffrently. As far as the heat shields, the other gent that posted "be careful" is correct. All engines are designed to operate at spec temps. Although it may run hotter than a new one, the gaskets and seals that were placed on that engine at the time of manufac are designed for that temp range providing that the cooling fins, shields, flywheel fins, and intake screen are all in place and are not restricted. This also means the block is free of mud, grease and other items that insulate that heat. As far as the oil type, synthetic oils have come along way in technology,but running another weight oil other than what is specified can do damage to your engine. Oil isn't oil. There are reasons for all those numbers on the container not to mention the letter designations. Just because someone has good luck with a certain type of oil, doesn't mean you will too. Always refer to manufacturer specs for optimal performance. Those gaskets and seals I mentioned above are only rated for a temp range that is RELATED TO THE OIL TYPE. I hope this helps.

bruce0777

Threads
Hello Everyone, and many thanks for all your help and replies. The main concern I had was that the motor runs as hot as it does and I guess from what you all say that is thought to be normal and it is build to run that way. Makes me feel better to know this is normal. I blow the motor often as I see it getting dirty even more so in the rear of the motor fan area against the motor block too behind the fan blades. My 18 HP has an external oil filter with a long oil line. I always liked that option so as to keep the oil slightly cooler. Thanks for this great site and people that are in it.......Bruce :smile:

dnjsyl

Threads
I have a cub model 1811. The Kohler gets very hot. The side sheilds of the tractor probably help keep the heat in. I dont remove them for fear of getting dust or dirt in on the engine. Then it would really run hot. All the cubs with the outside sheilds all run very hot. I have 730 hours on mine and it runs great........

triniphen

Threads
watch out that its not running lean or you will BBQ the valves, and then it will seize up.

Attachments

• mzt61.jpg
    mzt61.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 3

linehand

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have always been told that a working air cooled engine should be running at full throttle, they get more air and cool better.

triniphen

Threads
I dunno, if a stationary engine has a way to move more air at higher throttle that's fine. If not it will get hotter, convection can only do so much. I'm sure they all have a sweet spot of RPM vs Temp.

Attachments

• 2463FAC3-DF08-4C16-9CA3-1A3A1EACFC5D.jpg
    2463FAC3-DF08-4C16-9CA3-1A3A1EACFC5D.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 03C73EC6-63B2-498A-8974-8D94841B43CD.jpg
    03C73EC6-63B2-498A-8974-8D94841B43CD.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 8AF9AE46-F3DA-4E1A-877B-EFF5D6FE3A30.jpeg
    8AF9AE46-F3DA-4E1A-877B-EFF5D6FE3A30.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 1

garnder

Threads
i have a cudet with the 18 hp kohler magnum some times just blowing off the dust & dirt is not good enough i power wash the engine to remove any oil or grease build up on the heads & block any build up will make the motor run hotter

mullins87

Threads
I think the Kohlers run hotter than the others. I have an older Snapper garden tractor that has a Kohler 18 horse on it. Once that engine gets up to operating temperature, you can see the heat waves out in front of the tractor while you are using it. When I first got it, it concerned me a little. But now it has nearly 1,100 hours on it and it's still going strong.