Heres an original, String trimmer won't start

Galaxy24

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy Built string trimmer that will not start.
Model #TB425CS

Used the trimmer 2 weeks ago and it worked fine. Tried to start it this weekend and it will not start.

I checked a few things that I read on the forum:
Confirmed there is a spark
I replaced the spark plug anyway and adjusted the gap according to the instructions
Replaced the fuel with fresh fuel
By passed the kill switch
Let it sit over night and tried it the next day

After performing the above I have not been able to get it started.

Any suggestions on anything else I can try?

Thank you.

sss

Threads
I know it sounds crazy but i have a old trimer that would not start fuel and spark + plug was fine.I checked air filter and it was extremley rotted there was nothing left but a few bits and dirt and dust had been sucked into the carb causing it to stall i cleaned it and put a new air filter in and it worked perfect!

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
It sounds like the carburetor is clogged, so although it is firing, it isn't igniting because there is nothing to ignite.

If you feel confident, clean the carburetor yourself, if you don't, get somebody who knows what they're doing to clean it out.

If you do it yourself - Great, but don't loose the small pins for goodness' sake!

Galaxy24

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the recommendations. The carb is something that I haven't looked at yet. I will take a further look tonight. Thanks again.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Before you get too far forward... just to be sure what you meant... "By passed the kill switch", what exactly did you do? if you unplugged it and left the wire where it was not touching anything... okay.

Get something flammable... ether, gasoline, spray carb cleaner or just WD40 and spray it into the carb... see if it will start on one of those... :smile:KennyV

Mini Motors

Threads
If that's a 4 stroke, try adjusting the valves. I've had one for 5 years now, and I maintain another for a friend. The valves do get out of adjustment.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Thank you for the recommendations. The carb is something that I haven't looked at yet. I will take a further look tonight. Thanks again.
No problem! Let us know what happens :smile:

Galaxy24

Forum Newbie
Threads
I checked the air filter. It was a little dirty. I cleaned it up and put some fresh oil on it. But no luck on getting it started so far. Thanks for the suggestion though. It needed to be done anyway. I will continue to work on it tonight.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I checked the air filter. It was a little dirty. I cleaned it up and put some fresh oil on it. But no luck on getting it started so far. Thanks for the suggestion though. It needed to be done anyway. I will continue to work on it tonight.
I didn't think that would fix it, as usually a dirty air filter won't cause it to not start completely.

Galaxy24

Forum Newbie
Threads
@ Kenny and jmurray. I took your advise and sprayed some WD40 in the carb. It actually ran for a few seconds! Hopefully I will be able to take a look at the carb with some more detail tonight. Would you recommend soaking/submerging the carb? If so what would you recommend, carb cleaner right? Is it ok to blow it it out with an air hose? Any additional tips for carb maintenance?

@ mini. Since I am going to do all this work I will take a look at the gap there too.

Thanks guys.