Blades won't engage

AndrewJackson80

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2002 Scag Tiger Cub that I bought used with 400 hours on it. It works great except when it's been running a while and I disengage the blades they will not re-engage until the mower has cooled down. Any ideas as to why this is and what I can do to fix it?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF
Check the air gap for your clutch... It may be just a little bit too much gap...

If the gap is within tolerance... You will need a digital volt ohm meter.... check the resistance in the clutch coil... both when it is cool & when it is hot and not working... :smile:KennyV

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Chech my post about adding a groung bonding wire.
You need to address this problem soon as the possibility of internal engine damage is a possibility caused by a shorting clutch coil. Connect a voltmeter set in volts dc across the battery, run the engine and check voltage, should be 13.8-14.3 VDC with engine at half throttle or more. The clutch has electric wires going from it to a connector, find this connector, disconnect it, and check it for corrosion, etc. While there check the continuity of the clutch coil with a ohmmeter, and check eack to ground. This connector may be underneath near the clutch.
Let us know what your findings are. If you have no expertise in this area, find someone that has a multimeter and knows how to use it and have them check out the items that I have mentioned.
I have a 2008 Scag Tiger Cub that I bought new and it now has about 400 hours on it and I have already had to clean all the electrical connectors and added a ground bonding wire from the battery negative to the tractor frame due to intermittent cranking of the engine.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing: