Husqvarna 2348 starter motor removal

TheWatfordFox

Threads
Hi Guys
I need some advice from someone who has managed to remove the starter motor from the Briggs and Stratton 276480 (Intek V twin 23HP). It is held in place by two 1/2" bolts with torx inserts.The bolt nearest the front of the tractor (to the right of the picture) is obscured by the starter gear, and it seems the only way to remove the starter is to remove the flywheel and metal guard, which seems excessive. Is there a trick to removing this bolt. As a long shot I've ordered a 100mm torx screwdriver tip, but I'd rather get a 1/2" spanner round the bolt to avoid damaging it.
Once removed, I can then fit a new gear. As the picture shows it is chewed and I'm assuming this is why my engine only manages to make a partial turn when I attempt to start it
Any help for a confused Englishman ?
Thanks

Attachments

• CIMG2313.jpg
    CIMG2313.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 36

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The briggs tool is a 13mm universal socket

TheWatfordFox

Threads
I also posted my query on the Briggs and Stratton website. They have come back to me and confirmed the approach. Answer in full below for info:

Neil

Your message above regarding the V Twin engines starter motor removal has been passed for my attention.

Typically , we would use a シ inch drive socket with a flexible universal head to remove the difficult starter motor fixing bolt. These would be available via a hand tool stockist or under part number 19353 from your local service dealer. Before the advent of such a tool we used to turn the starter drive clutch so that its flat side was at an angle of approx. 45 degrees to the bolt and then used a std socket which had been ground down sufficiently to gain access easily. I hope this helps.

Nick Rosam
Area Service Manager UK
Lawn Mower Parts & Small Engine Parts by Briggs & Stratton

I have also tracked down the B and S catalogue which describes the socket (plus a load of other tooling)

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/en...~/media/2A7AA18C7EBB4056B8DE60F63314894F.ashx

TheWatfordFox

Threads
Just received a quote for the B and S 13mm universal socket

」36.95

Might change my strategy....

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just use a 13mm socket on a wobble extension. You will find out its not as hard to get to as you think

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
1/4 inch drive

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you have Snap-On brand tools available in your location...
They have the short u-joint sockets and Snap-On uses the thinnest wall sockets I have ever used... they are the best at getting into hard to reach spots... They can be found on eBay used, at some great prices... :smile:KennyV

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just received a quote for the B and S 13mm universal socket

」36.95

Might change my strategy....

I ordered one from briggs a few years back. the briggs tool is snap-on brand, or at least the one they shipped me was.