kohler engine

yourhero

Forum Newbie
Threads
26hp Kawasaki engine on a Big boss country clipper lawn mower.

I have been mowing fine all season and all day today, trying to do some finish work today. Smelled like something was burning so I got off and made sure no leaves had bunched up anyplace. Got back on a continued mowing. About a minute later a black puff of smoke came from some place and I quickly shut the mower down. I let it cool down and checked all of my fluids. They all seem to be good. Attempted to restart, and all it will do now is click. It appears that it is trying to turn the engine over but wont. Turn the key again and click, any ideas? TIA

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Possibly the starter wasn't disengaging and the continued turning caused the starter to overhead and lockup.

yourhero

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the idea, What is the easiest way to check the starter?

Since my first post I have tried to turn the fly wheel. Very hard to access, but have had luck turning it backwards, and limited (very small movement) luck turning it forward, but it does move with the big set of pliers I was able to get on a pulley.

Tried starting again, and it acts like everything wants to turn, but it just clicks tries to turn and stops all in just the turn of the key (one second).

Did I blow up the engine?

Any other ideas?

benski

Threads
Thanks for the idea, What is the easiest way to check the starter?

Since my first post I have tried to turn the fly wheel. Very hard to access, but have had luck turning it backwards, and limited (very small movement) luck turning it forward, but it does move with the big set of pliers I was able to get on a pulley.

Tried starting again, and it acts like everything wants to turn, but it just clicks tries to turn and stops all in just the turn of the key (one second).

Did I blow up the engine?

Any other ideas?
Take out the spark plugs and turn it through a couple of times. You'll feel a sickening mechanical crunch if you've broken something internally. Otherwise, as ILengine has suggested it could be a starter that hung up and expired. Also, check your battery connections for cleanliness and security.

yourhero

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: kawasaki engine

"Take out the spark plugs and turn it through a couple of times. You'll feel a sickening mechanical crunch if you've broken something internally. Otherwise, as ILengine has suggested it could be a starter that hung up and expired. Also, check your battery connections for cleanliness and security."

I have taken the spark plugs out previously and was able to turn in through a few times in reverse, I have probably turned it through going forward maybe once, but it was really hard to turn. There were no mechanical crunches or anything like that. How can I test the starter? Connections are good and clean. Thanks!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can remove the starter and connect a set of jumper cables to it... it should spin up...

When you checked the engine oil... Was the oil extremely Hot? ...

yourhero

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine oil seemed normal to me, when I checked it. What has me confused is the burning smell for about five minutes prior to it quitting. The engine temp light never came on. I will try the starter and get back to you...

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What did it smell of, wood, oil, plastic, clutch or brake, rubber ?? I would start with that. If you were looking for branches and leaves was that the type of smell? I would start with that and check all belts and pulleys. I just don't see why the starter would go bad running the mower. The puff of black came from where? Maybe a pulley seized up and burn a belt? I don't know what would make black smoke because most things that burn make white smoke? If something broke inside the engine it would seem that would make some kind of noise.

yourhero

Forum Newbie
Threads
starter rolls just fine when hooked to jumper cables.

It kinda smelled like rubber/leaves/grass when I first stopped. I cleaned out the areas where those things tend to gathers. I have checked all belts, they are still in good shape. I puff of smoke came from behind me, where the engine is. It made no type of noise when that happened, but immediately died.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
starter rolls just fine when hooked to jumper cables.

It kinda smelled like rubber/leaves/grass when I first stopped. I cleaned out the areas where those things tend to gathers. I have checked all belts, they are still in good shape. I puff of smoke came from behind me, where the engine is. It made no type of noise when that happened, but immediately died.

Not that this will be a fun job. The first thing would be to eliminate the mower or engine. I would take all shields, guards, and belts off and go from there. Start small and work up. I have found the Kawasaki engine tends to break valve heads off. If it is the engine and not the mower the next step would be to check engine compression. Unless you want to get into some major repairs yourself from here I would take it to someone who does this for a living. Maybe you will find a simple repair when you remove the covers?? The best of luck Nick