How many hours do you have on your mowers & how long can I expect mine to last?

nate81

Threads
  • / How many hours do you have on your mowers & how long can I expect mine to last?
Whats the average amount of hours for a residential mower before it needs to be replaced? commercial?

I'm asking because I have a early 1990s John Deere 320 Lawn tractor that has about 506 hours on it....this mower is almost 20 years old and has 500 hours...to me, that seems wayyyyy under par. I'm wondering how many more years (if any) i can expect out of this type of lawn tractor.

On the same level...what make/model do you have, and how many hours on it? I'd love to hear!

Sammy the Red

Threads
  • / How many hours do you have on your mowers & how long can I expect mine to last?
Re: How many hours do you have on your mowers & how long can I expect mine to last?

One of my JD's is a 1965......Have no Idea how many hours on it.
Did a valve job on it about 15 years ago.

benski

Threads
Re: How many hours do you have on your mowers & how long can I expect mine to last?

I've got a 1996ish vintage cub cadet 2164 with about 800 hrs on it, a 1978 craftsman GT with 635, and some older stuff laying around with no history or Hobbs meters. I see quite a few commercial pieces in the 1500 to 2100 hr. range.:smile:YMMV...:biggrin:
I think the standard formula for longevity applies; who's running it, who maintains it, and how well it was built to begin with.

Parkmower

Threads
I usually get 3000 hrs out of commercial mowers. By that time they start to become a money pit. Do still have some older machines but they are usually kept for specific tasks and don't see too many hrs in a year. Have a 1985 toro groundsmaster 327 with about 2500hrs. A 2000 toro 328d 4wd with 2800hrs but is a dedicated leaf blower so it only sees about 20-30hrs a year.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads

I have a 2011 Mountfield SP414 2.6HP 100CC Walk Behind mower with about 4 hours on it, as I've only used for half of this years mowing season.

I don't think there is really a certain amount of hours a mower gets before it dies.

It is all about maintenance.

A mower that gets oil changes only when the oil turns black, gets ran with a dirty, or no air filter, stays filled with fuel over winter etc... Isn't going to last long.

A mower that is very well cared for, as I hope all LMF members treat their mowers, should last a long time, but as I say, there isn't a real figure that signifies the life of an engine.

There are just too many variables to give a certain figure.

I'd say around 3000 hours would be the kind of usage you could expect from a well treated Lawn Mower.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads

I think the standard formula for longevity applies; who's running it, who maintains it, and how well it was built to begin with.
I totally agree.

Parkmower

Threads
The problem is the mowers I use don't always have the same operator. The Jacobsens and husq zt always have competent operators(myself or one other gent). We tend to put the summer kids on older equip.
We I started when I was 19 I didn't really care about the mowers. Did my daily routine checks but was no way easy on the equip. Now I love mowing. And treat my machines accordingly. And have taken over the service and maintenance so I know everything is taken care of.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads

well...they dont explode at a certain point....so the question is....When do things start to fail......id say your at the start of things wearing out....just be diligent with maintence :thumbsup:

nate81

Threads

well...they dont explode at a certain point....so the question is....When do things start to fail......id say your at the start of things wearing out....just be diligent with maintence :thumbsup:

Well thats not really what i meant, more so ...at what point does it not make sense to put money into them anymore. Like a car...you're average car is going to give you problems at what....180k...200k? This is more what I meant...

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads

the biggest are engine and tranny....i would say when one of those go....you might want to start looking for a replacement mower....unless you can get a good deal on used parts....hrs are ambiguous ....its how hard those hrs are....if you dont know the history...i would play it safe and upgrade