Converting a riding mower

Tillie

Threads
My husband wants to know how to convert a Craftsman riding mower from a ignition start to a pull string start? It's an older model mower if that helps any.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Tillie and welcome to the group...
I think you are wanting to switch from an electric start to a pull start. Right??

If that is the case you need to determine what make the engine is, most likely a Briggs or Tucumpsie...
You should be able to locate the recoil mechanism that mounts on top of the flywheel.

Check with mower repair shops for used parts that you need, they usually have a lot of junk engines setting around to cannibalize good parts from...
The swap your contemplating is very easy, most folks go the other way pull start to electric, your swap will be very economical as well... :smile:KennyV

Walt 2002

Threads
My husband wants to know how to convert a Craftsman riding mower from a ignition start to a pull string start? It's an older model mower if that helps any.

"The swap your contemplating is very easy, "

Depends on what engine, IF it is a B&S engine and does not have the extension on the end of the crankshaft for a recoil or it is damaged, swap may not be so easy.

Walt Conner

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
"The swap your contemplating is very easy, "

Depends on what engine,

Walt Thats true ... but like she said, "It's an older model mower" and a lot of the older engines were set up to go either way... :smile:KennyV

noodle

Threads
I am just curious and I only ask because I really want to know the answer. But why do you want to convert it. What are the benefits of making that change?

Tillie

Threads
I'm thinking about converting because I can't afford to get the starter. This works just as well and right now, for me, it's more economical.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm thinking about converting because I can't afford to get the starter. This works just as well and right now, for me, it's more economical.

Just curious, what is the horsepower of the engine you are converting? The biggest engine I have ever tried to pull start is a 10 hp in my genset, it's a single cylinder and takes a pretty healthy tug to turn over. I have also tried to pull start my Honda ATV a few times, it's a 450cc but I don't know the horsepower, it is REALLY hard to pull start. If you have a good size engine in what you want to convert I hope you are stronger than me :biggrin: