Question on spindle replacement

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've put my ZTR in the shop for some year end maintenance. I'm having all the safety switches replaced, the lap bar shocks and the three spindles replaced. My question is should I go with the grease-able or the sealed bearing type.
What are the pro's and con's of the sealed type? :confused2:​

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i like the greasable...because you can clean out old or contaminated grease and get new stuff in there....the thing with zerk types is you have grease them....people who dont like doing that should get a sealed type......by the way...sealed is not truthful description:thumbsup:..........cute dog!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've put my ZTR in the shop for some year end maintenance. I'm having all the safety switches replaced, the lap bar shocks and the three spindles replaced. My question is should I go with the grease-able or the sealed bearing type.
What are the pro's and con's of the sealed type? :confused2:​

I'm only familiar with the so called sealed bearings for lawn tractors so could you connect me with a link or a picture of a grease-able bearing they would put in your ZTR? Thanks

Parkmower

Threads
My only experience has been with grease-able spindles. I'm guessing they'll see commercial use. I would go grease-able then. I've had greaseable spindles go thousands of hrs with no problems. But all the machines I use are pretty high end commercial machines.
I don't know the. Life span of non greaseable in a commercial use.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Definitely a grease able wherever you can...
There are too many possibilities for error in a sealed bearing... if any contaminate gets into it, there is no way to get it out, without complete replacement.
With a regular flushing with fresh grease, you not only renew the protective lubricating film... but you also flush any undesirable elements from the area. Most grease able fixtures are themselves designed to be rebuilt, using components, rather than a throw away assembly.
The other advantage to regular grease servicing, it will establish a daily routine that will increase the odds of discovering a potential major failure, Before it causes extensive damage to other parts.... :smile:KennyV

possum

Threads
Provided the mounting the bearing goes into is correctly made so that grease is indeed forced into and out of the bearing then that is about twenty times better than a no grease bearing. However, if the mounting is poorly made so grease just pumps through the mounting and fails to force grease through the bearing or the bearing is installed incorrectly in a good mounting then a no grease bearing is a better.

benski

Threads
I'm a greasable kind of guy...:ashamed::wink::biggrin: A couple of shots of synthetic grease after each mowing will drive any moisture out, give you an opportunity to see what is going on under your mower, and usually make it so your equipment goes a long, long time.:thumbsup: