Lug Tread Tire Purchase

crazyoldtractor

Threads
I found a guy on craigslist selling a set of rear lug tread tires for a lawn tractor. They are the right size for my wheel horse. He wants $40 for them and will not budge on the price. Is this a good deal. I want the tires but only if im not getting ripped off. I don't know too much about lawn tractor tires. I think these will be better than turf tires for plowing. So anyway, am I getting ripped off. They are Carlisle brand and a year old with no leaking.

Also, What is the best type of tire for plowing?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you referring to plowing Snow OR plowing Earth....?

What size tire and ply ratting are you looking at?
They are easy to look up... You will find a Lot of AG tires in Lt and GT sizes available on eBay...
:smile:KennyV

crazyoldtractor

Threads
For plowing snow and also pulling a small ripper plow for dirt, so both. Not too sure about the tread size or rating, they look pretty good though. On ebay similar ones go for about $200.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The size and ply rating will make a lot of difference in the price.

You are not going to get any increase in traction on snow using AG tires, actually you will get Less than if you were running turfs... (look at auto snow tires, they more closely resemble turf tires than AG tires).

I have pushed snow using AG, Turf and Industrial tread... Turf is the best..

What you need is weight. that is what will give you traction.... :smile:KennyV

mullins87

Threads
Depending on the size and ply rating, just as Kenny mentioned, that could be a very good price. I have a pair of Carlisles on my garden tractor, they are 23x10.50x12's, but I don't remember the ply rating right now. I had been watching them online and in the local stores for close to two years, but didn't want to pay so much for them, around $200. One day by accident I stopped in one of those local stores and discovered they had two left that were clearanced out at $60 each. Needless to say I snatched them up pretty quick.

Now as for what Kenny said about traction in the snow, I have a respectably disagree only so far as my limited experience differs. First off, we don't get much snow where I live, but here is my experience in the three times I have used this garden tractor to plow snow. I have a sleeve hitch on the back of with a grader blade attached, not a front mounted plow. The first time I tried it was a complete failure, the turf tires that were on it just spun freely in the snow and wouldn't even push itself through the snow, much less dragging a blade as well. That experience along with some others involving lots of tire spin in the dirt made the decision for me to put the lugs on it. The next two times I have used it to plow snow were great. The weight issue is a large factor, as weight translates into tractive force. When I had the turf tires, they were filled with fluid, as are the lug tires now.

If you are needing added traction, I don't think you'll be sorry.

Sammy the Red

Threads
I paid $100.00 for mine w/rims. That is a good price...Snatch 'em up !

Black Bart

Threads
The size and ply rating will make a lot of difference in the price.

You are not going to get any increase in traction on snow using AG tires, actually you will get Less than if you were running turfs... (look at auto snow tires, they more closely resemble turf tires than AG tires).

I have pushed snow using AG, Turf and Industrial tread... Turf is the best..

What you need is weight. that is what will give you traction.... :smile:KennyV

I agree on snow turf tire is better and he needs weight a lot of weight then he will discover that while he can push the snow if he angles the blade you can not steer it.
The force against the angled blade will just shove the front over.

Garden tractor will only satisfactory push a few inches of snow and even less dirt unless you have a REALLY BIG tractor.

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
$40 is a good deal for any tire, much less a pair - ive seen AG's at TSC ( yeah i know theyre high price anyway) for like $60 each on 8" rims.

I saw a pair of ATV wheels ( tire and rim) for $65 each there once- needless to say they didnt last long....

Ive ran turf tires in the snow and ice- they didnt get me anywhere, only was able to move with chains on them- wasnt even plowing snow, just driving thru about a foot of snow.

benski

Threads
Sounds good to me:thumbsup::biggrin:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
A good set of tire chains with weight and turf tires.. I have been moving snow for years now with my 312-H Wheel Horse and find this works the best for me. I found the lug tires just didn't work as good with the tire chains.