Repairs Engine Won't Stay Running? 18hp B&S Twin

kyle3194

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, so ive got an older Murray mower that has an 18 HP B&S twin. It has sat out behind the shed for about 3 years, and i decided to go and fix it the other day. So, after new front tires, fixed steering column, a bunch of cleaning (stupid hornets and Mud-Dobbers), oil change, plug change, fuel drain, new fuel line, more mud-dobber cleaning and looping the electrical system in a couple of places; I thought i was ready to go.

So I go and try to start it... Battery is dead. No big deal, ill just jump it. So as im trying to start it the usual stuff happens, carbon deposits come out of the muffler, the engine wont turn very fast, have to help it by hand, but still no starting. Soooo, i put some fuel directly in the carburetor, and tried to start it that way... nothing. I took out the plugs and adjusted the gap, they were off. So then i put fuel back in the Carb, and behold it starts!

But i can not get it to work any farther than that. At this point im kinda stuck... What should i be looking at? I was thinking maybe the fuel filter? but when i was trying to start it, I did smell gas. (This was before i put it in the carb).

Thanks for any help yall may have for me!

-Kyle

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
id get a new battery [$35] and get a rebuild kit for the carb [$22]...as well as a new filter [$4] and of course ..GAS...get plenty of carb cleaner and clean it out...the vacuum fuel pump may be shot [its the rectangle deal with hoses on the front of the carb].....just keep everything clean while doing it:smile:.......try an take some pictures

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
If its sat that long, id get a carb rebuild kit, gaskets are probably all dried out inside - i bot one for my 17HP twin for $20 from a local Cub Cadet dealer- if its a type with the pump on the carb- youll get a pump kit as well - you just need motor numbers and how many bolts hold the pump together. If its a remote pump, you can test it off the motor and see if its actually pumping - id also change the vacuum line to the pump, its most likely dry rotted.

Usually when i drag home non running mowers, i liberally spray the cylenders with PB blaster, hand rotate the motor over, spray again to lubricate everything.

Invest in a large battery - the big twins eat smaller batterys ( i have 5 twin motors, so i know) , you might also want to clean the starter , if it pulls too much juice - it wont want to start either.