Craftsman riding lawn mower wont start. Drastically need help.

CraftsmanProblems

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman riding lawn mower wont start. Drastically need help.
So I have no idea what I'm doing with lawn mowers really, but I'm going to try to explain it the best I can. First thing first the lawn mower wouldn't start. I would turn the key while holding the clutch down but the circle thing on the engine would turn a little, but not start up or anything. My dad thought it was the battery, so I went to Lowes and got the same exact battery and hooked it up. After hooking up the new battery I turned the key again and it started up. At first it had some trouble staying on when I moved the throttle up, but I let it run a little and soon could turn the throttle up without it turning off. I thought it was fixed, but the next morning I went to turn the key and it did the same thing where the circle in the engine just turns a bit every now and then without really starting up. What in the world do I do?:frown:

benski

Threads
So I have no idea what I'm doing with lawn mowers really, but I'm going to try to explain it the best I can. First thing first the lawn mower wouldn't start. I would turn the key while holding the clutch down but the circle thing on the engine would turn a little, but not start up or anything. My dad thought it was the battery, so I went to Lowes and got the same exact battery and hooked it up. After hooking up the new battery I turned the key again and it started up. At first it had some trouble staying on when I moved the throttle up, but I let it run a little and soon could turn the throttle up without it turning off. I thought it was fixed, but the next morning I went to turn the key and it did the same thing where the circle in the engine just turns a bit every now and then without really starting up. What in the world do I do?:frown:

Recharge your battery on a 2 amp charger overnight, then try it again. If you start back up easily after a fresh battery install, youve probaly got some kind of current draw, caused by a positive wire chafing through the insulation and grounding on the frame. That circle thing that you're referring to is probably the flywheel, by the way. You might also try some electrical contact cleaner in your key switch.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF... stay around for a while, there are some here that can give you great suggestions & advice...
You are on the way to discovering that replacing parts without knowing they needed replacement, is going to become very expensive & not too productive...
It is very likely that the battery you replaced was good, and only needed charging...
One of a few other possibilities for an over night battery drain, is the voltage regulator, on the charging system... But don't replace it without checking it first... :smile:KennyV

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
there are a couple other things besides electrical....one is a leaking carb can fill the cylinder with gas ....pull the plug and crank over.....if engine spins fast and gas sprays out...then that may be it......also valves out of adjustment can create the symptom......my question above all, is ..did this happen overnight?...or has it progessively gotten to this point?

wcpost

Threads
Had this problem with a Snapper w/12HP B&S. The stator under the flywheel ( The Big Round Thing on Top) you will need to ask someone with knowledge of an amp meter to check for a short. After the third battery, this is what I found.
Good Luck...

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads

DO NOT REPLACE THE CIRCLE THINGY! There is nothing wrong with it.
I think you have an electrical problem. Please provide the folowing information
  • Age of the mower
  • Model of the mower
  • Photograph of the mower engine including large red wires
  • photgraphs of areas where large wires come together
You maybe able to fix this problem buy throroughly cleaning wire connections.
You may have to replace the starter.
Do not discard the old battery as there is probably nothing wrong with it.
A temporary fix may be to disconnect the battery after each use until the problem is fixed, however operating this machine in this condition, may lead to more expensive repairs.
get your camera and get busy:thumbsup:

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Have one in the shop now . Owner changed the battery , starter, starter relay and brought it in - 1/4 turn of the engine after changing all these parts .
Cam shaft was worn and valves were not opening enough to let the engine rotate 360 degrees....a lot of wasted money .

captainkirk00

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a valve adjustment that can be done on 15hp ohc kohler to get exaust valve to open on compression stroke,iv got same problem

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Right, in my opinion, you either have one of two faults:

There is a drain on the battery causing it to die overnight, or
The alternator isn't charging properly, so when you start the engine, the battery is too flat the next day to do it again.

Get your charging system checked out, and look for any obvious power draws, like lights left on.

wcpost

Threads
I have found on most Kohler motors is that they have a spring that holds the exaust valve open until the RPM's go above 600 RPM. This allows less wear on the starter. I found this on my 1973 241 last year. I have not found this on Briggs & Strattons yet.