Yardman 4-stroke weed eater

wjbertrand

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Yardman YM26CS weed eater that was always difficult to start from new and became harder and harder to start over the last year or so and eventually, once finally started, would not run unless the choke was full on. Turning off the choke, even just slightly, or trying to feed any throttle in caused the engine to immediately stall. I reasoned there was a fuel supply problem. I disassembled the carburetor several times but could not find any plugged passages or other obvious problems. Pumping the priming bulb seemed to pressurize the fuel tank and delivered plenty of fuel squirting out the main line to the carb (when disconnected), so I know the gas supply was good.

Out of frustration I ordered and installed a replacement carburetor and now the unit starts easily (better than when new) and runs well. What was wrong with the old carb? These things are so simple I can't figure out what the failure was.

jteuban

Threads
Did it have any kind of adjustment screws on it like high and low or just an idle. Valves set correctly? Spark arrest screen? muffler clogged?

benski

Threads
In these really small carbs, sometimes just a bit of corrosion in a place you can't get to can cause a system failure.:frown:

wjbertrand

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did it have any kind of adjustment screws on it like high and low or just an idle. Valves set correctly? Spark arrest screen? muffler clogged?

Only an idle stop adjustment. But none of those other issues you mention would have been solved by replacing the carb. (which I noted above, corrected the problem).

motorrefurb

Threads
Maybe little tiny dirt chunks in places you cannot see, I use carb cleaner for problems like that and re-assembling carbs :thumbsup:

wjbertrand

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe little tiny dirt chunks in places you cannot see, I use carb cleaner for problems like that and re-assembling carbs :thumbsup:

Yeah that must be the case. I had that thing completely apart 3 times and was able to squirt carb cleaner through every orifice I could see though!

single cylinder

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Yardman YM26CS weed eater that was always difficult to start from new and became harder and harder to start over the last year or so and eventually, once finally started, would not run unless the choke was full on. Turning off the choke, even just slightly, or trying to feed any throttle in caused the engine to immediately stall. I reasoned there was a fuel supply problem. I disassembled the carburetor several times but could not find any plugged passages or other obvious problems. Pumping the priming bulb seemed to pressurize the fuel tank and delivered plenty of fuel squirting out the main line to the carb (when disconnected), so I know the gas supply was good.

Out of frustration I ordered and installed a replacement carburetor and now the unit starts easily (better than when new) and runs well. What was wrong with the old carb? These things are so simple I can't figure out what the failure was.
it's usually the intake side of the mesh fuel filter inside the carburetor. you have to remove the screen to clean. it's mostly a calcium type build up from the fuel.