Starting Question John Deere 120

Darrel

Threads
Have a question I have a JD 120 20 HP Briggs Twin.The other day I was mowing and I smelled gas , checked it out and the fuel line was cracked near the fuel filter . Put on new line and now it misses off and on and backfires. So I bought new plugs and a new filter put them on and started right up.Mowed about two rounds around my yard and just died.VERY VERY hard to start now .Seems like the filter is ok it has fuel in it .What should i check? Do you think it could be the fuel pump ? Can you take them off and clean them?Any Help would be appreciated.:confused3:

Last edited:

parapower

Threads
any time u replace the broken/cracked line u need to always replace the filter. fist take it off and try to blow thru it. if it has any restriction replace it. u might have some fuel line particles that have gotten into the fuel pump but that should not stop it from working.

tx7

Threads
around here we are having trouble with the methenol in the fuel messing up the float valve in the carb. Briggs offers one that is metal with a rubber tip to replace the white plastic one. That usually fixes the starting problem.