How to make my new engine last longer

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
reddragon & BlackBart have got it correct... a GOOD multi viscosity Synthetic oil is going to be best...
Other oils may do okay... but whatever you choose, use a synthetic ... I also say you will never go wrong using Rotella T6, fantastic oil at a great price... :smile:KennyV

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
All good posts. I use synthetic in my car and truck, but they have to be started all year long from zero to 100 degrees, I don't mow if it's too hot. I do think air cooled motors can and will run hotter, so if I wasn't using the lawn mower oil (which says it is for air cooled motors), I would use synthetic. For the 20 ounces my Kohler takes, it's probably under a dollar per oil change to go to synthetic. I'll look at the Rotella, but it's a diesel oil, and make up my own mind.

I think we all agreed that a quality oil, of the right viscosity, changed often enough, and filled to the proper level is key to long engine life.

Black Bart

Threads
All good posts. I use synthetic in my car and truck, but they have to be started all year long from zero to 100 degrees, I don't mow if it's too hot. I do think air cooled motors can and will run hotter, so if I wasn't using the lawn mower oil (which says it is for air cooled motors), I would use synthetic. For the 20 ounces my Kohler takes, it's probably under a dollar per oil change to go to synthetic. I'll look at the Rotella, but it's a diesel oil, and make up my own mind.

I think we all agreed that a quality oil, of the right viscosity, changed often enough, and filled to the proper level is key to long engine life.

T-6 clearly states on the jug it is API certified for gasoline engines the big difference is the add pack is much better.
Wal-Mart sells it for just a little over 21 Bucks for a gallon jug.

It was $16.00 until last winter they raised it.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I'm never too old to learn, I need to buy some soon; I'll go read the jug. Maybe I can use the T-6 in my portable back up Generator too and just buy one type of "off-road" oil.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads

I think your point about synthetic in a small engine equates to a few dollars a year so why not? Is a good point..... It's pretty clear to me that it holds up better and I don't think there is a bigger challenge for a motor oil then a small, air cooled, engine crankcase.

Last edited: